What does CR mean to Aviva?
Aviva is committed to doing business responsibly. We are very conscious of the impact we have on the people we deal with, the environment we operate within and society as a whole.
To put our business principles into practice, we must deliver on our responsibilities to:
- our customers, by listening to their views, treating them fairly, and offering the products and guidance that help them make decisions appropriate to their needs
- our colleagues, by dealing openly and honestly with employees, supporting them in day-to-day activities and through times of change, and by helping our partners (such as suppliers and IFAs) to do business responsibly
- our communities, by investing in them both financially and through the time invested in local charities by our people
- the environment - especially climate change, by reducing waste and energy usage, and addressing transport and fleet impacts
Follow the links to find out more about our CR governance and CR policy.
To find out what Aviva did to deliver against these responsibilities you can read our CR Report 2008. A full version of the report (PDF 2,650KB) is now available.
Within Aviva, CR is championed at executive level and supported by a dedicated team of professionals who are responsible for embedding these commitments throughout the organisation. Our Group Chief Executive is the main sponsor of our CR programme, and the Aviva plc Board receives an annual update on activities and progress. In addition, our Board CR Committee, established in 2006, meets four times a year and is chaired by Carole Piwnica. The Committee comprises Aviva's Chairman, three other non-executive directors and the Group Chief Executive. It's responsible for CR strategy and policy, and for reviewing our CR performance. Our Global CR Advisory Group, which meets twice a year, provides additional group-wide input.
Top of page
Our CR policy
We support the seven elements which we established to recognise our commitments across our various activities (which include acting as an insurer, investor, employer and consumer). These commitments effectively form the group's CR policy, and they are as follows:
- Customers: we aim to provide our customers with prosperity and peace of mind by offering them relevant, simple to understand products that they can trust.
- Standards of Business Conduct: we ensure that in everything we do, we meet the highest standards of business conduct.
- Environment: we are only too aware of the challenges posed by climate change. Managing our impact on the environment is central to our CR programme.
- Community: we are a responsible corporate citizen, taking account of the impact of our activities on the communities in which we operate.
- Our people: we involve our people in creating a great place to work and a company of which they can be proud.
- Diversity and human rights: we value, respect and celebrate difference, because we believe diversity gives us the strength to compete effectively as a global business.
- Suppliers: we are clear and consistent with our suppliers about what we expect of them and what they can expect of us.
Top of page
You can view the full set of policies here on the Aviva website.