There is important information on this page that may be difficult to read on a small screen device. You may wish to switch to a larger display.
If you're thinking about buying a Solutions policy for your company you will probably have heard us refer to our BacktoBetter musculoskeletal (MSK) case management service. We often get asked similar questions about this service so we have included the most common questions on this page. Have a look through and if you still have any other questions we’re always happy to talk over the phone, just call us on the number on the right hand side of this page.
What are musculoskeletal (MSK) conditions?
MSK conditions are any conditions relating to back, neck, muscle or joint pain, also commonly referred to as orthopaedic conditions.
What is BacktoBetter?
BacktoBetter is our clinical musculoskleteal (MSK) case management service.
BacktoBetter provides end-to-end case management for your employees, regardless of the treatment path their condition requires – a clinical case manager will assess your employee and coordinate the appropriate treatment that they need.
BacktoBetter is included as standard on our Solutions product, as part of core cover, as we believe it is the most appropriate way to manage MSK claims and it supports your business by managing claims spend responsibly.
For more information read our BacktoBetter flyer (PDF 3.06MB).
How does BacktoBetter work?
BacktoBetter introduces high quality clinical decision-making throughout your employees' claims. Using BacktoBetter means that employees don’t need to see their GP, they just need to call us and we'll arrange for them to receive a telephone clinical assessment. This makes sure that only appropriate and effective interventions are approved, which means a better outcome for your employees, a well-managed claims spend for you and a positive impact on absence levels.
So if an employee experiences back, neck, muscle or joint pain, the BacktoBetter service is their first point of contact – there is no need for them to see a GP first.
Following their telephone clinical assessment, the employee will begin the most appropriate course of treatment for their condition – this could be self-managed exercises (given to them over the telephone and backed up by online support), physiotherapy treatment , referral for diagnostic tests, or referral to a specialist.
All of the clinical case managers have a wealth of experience – meaning employees are being supported by someone who really understands their condition.
What are the benefits of BacktoBetter for your employees?
BacktoBetter helps ensure your employees receive the right treatment for their symptoms. No matter how complex the problem, the individual will receive on-going clinical support to help meet treatment goals and get better quicker. Early intervention is key in treating MSK conditions which is why employees will find it a much easier process, enabling them to get treatment as quickly as possible.
- No need to see a GP
- No impact on physiotherapy treatment if you chose a reduced out-patient monetary limit
- Choice of over 2,000 clinics throughout the UK
- A shorter claims journey for employees
- Provides easy access to clinical expertise and a tailored treatment plan specific to their individual condition
- Delivers end-to-end case management, whatever the course of treatment.
What are the benefits of BacktoBetter for your business?
BacktoBetter offers rapid access to a clinical case manager who can help employees deal with musculoskeletal pain.
- A service that complements your wellbeing strategy, offering preventative advice early on, as well as treatment
- There’s no need to see a GP. It's quicker and easier for employees to access treatment
- Employees get the right treatment at the right time, which can lead to a faster recovery, reducing workplace absence
- Getting employees back to work quickly is especially important for small businesses as having key staff off for any period of time can have a significant effect on your business
- It’s an end-to-end service that delivers clinical best practice no matter how complicated the problem is
- And it encourages happier, healthier employees.