There is important information on this page that may be difficult to read on a small screen device. You may wish to switch to a larger display.
If you're looking into buying a Solutions policy for your company you will probably have heard us refer to our BacktoBetter musculoskeletal (MSK) rehabilitation service. We often get asked similar questions about the service so we have included the most common questions on this page. Have a look though, and if you still have any other questions we’re always happy to talk over the phone, you can call us on 0800 158 5182 quoting reference SME-NAT. Calls to and from Aviva may be monitored and/or recorded.
What are musculoskeletal (MSK) conditions?
MSK conditions are any conditions relating to back, neck, muscle or joint pain, commonly referred to as orthopaedic conditions.
What is BacktoBetter?
BacktoBetter is our market-leading musculoskeletal (MSK) rehabilitation service.
BacktoBetter provides end-to-end case management for your employees, regardless of the treatment path their condition requires – our expert BacktoBetter clinicians will assess the employee and coordinate the appropriate clinical pathway that they need.
BacktoBetter is included as standard on all Solutions policies, as part of core cover, as we believe it is the most clinically appropriate way to manage MSK claims. It also supports your business by managing claims spend responsibly.
For more information read our BacktoBetter flyer (PDF 3,056KB).
How does BacktoBetter work?
BacktoBetter introduces high quality clinical decision-making throughout your employees' claims. Using BacktoBetter means that employees don’t need to see their GP, they just need to call us and they’ll be connected with one of our BacktoBetter expert clinicians. This makes sure that only appropriate and effective interventions are approved, which means a better outcome for your employees, a well-managed claims spend for you and a positive impact on absence levels.
So if an employee experiences back, neck, muscle or joint pain, the BacktoBetter service is their first point of contact – there is no need for them to see a GP first.
We will then organise for the employee to receive a telephone based clinical assessment with our rehabilitation partner at a time which is convenient for them (we always aim to have this take place within 2 hours of them contacting us to ensure the benefit of early intervention).
From this call, the employee will begin the most appropriate course of treatment for their condition – this could be self-managed exercises (given to them over the telephone and backed up by online support), physiotherapy treatment or referral to a specialist for further investigations and/or treatment.
All of our physiotherapists and rehabilitation experts have a wealth of experience – meaning employees are being supported by someone who really understands their condition.
The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP) supports this approach to managing MSK conditions.
What are the benefits of BacktoBetter for your employees?
BacktoBetter is a service that can help employees recover better, faster. No matter how complex the problem, the individual will receive on-going clinical support to help meet treatment goals and get better quicker. Early intervention is key in treating MSK conditions, which is why employees will find it a much easier process, enabling them to get treatment as quickly as possible.
- No need to see a GP
- No excess for the employee to pay for physiotherapy treatment (if one applies)
- No impact on physiotherapy if any of the selected out-patient limits are chosen
- Choice of over 1,500 clinics throughout the UK
- A shorter claims journey for employees
- Provides easy access to clinical expertise and a tailored treatment plan specific to their individual condition
- Delivers end-to-end case management, whatever the course of treatment.
What are the benefits of BacktoBetter for your business?
BacktoBetter offers rapid access to a qualified clinician who can help employees deal with musculoskeletal pain.
- A service that complements your wellbeing strategy, offering preventative advice early on, as well as treatment
- There’s no need to see a GP. It is quicker and easier for employees to access treatment
- Employees get the right treatment at the right time, which can lead to a faster recovery, reducing workplace absence
- Getting employees back to work quickly is especially important for small businesses, as having key staff off work for any period of time can have a significant effect on your business
- It’s an end-to-end service that delivers best practice rehabilitation no matter how complicated the problem is
- It can help lower future insurance costs, as the cost per MSK claim is reduced on average by 15% when managed through BacktoBetter, and can be as much as 30%, compared to unmanaged MSK claims. This is partly down to the fact that only 20% to 30% of MSK claims require further investigations by a specialist through BacktoBetter, compared with 60% of unmanaged MSK claims
- And it encourages happier, healthier employees.