Workout at Work Day 2014
Published: 05 Jun 2014
On Friday 6th June, Aviva will be hosting Workout at Work Day in conjunction with the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP),to highlight to employees the benefits of a healthy lifestyle and regular physical activity both inside and out of the workplace.
In 2011, the CSP launched Workout at Work Day (W@WD) to increase levels of physical activity amongst employees during the working day, and to inspire staff to keep active and address poor work habits - such as not taking regular breaks. Aviva and the CSP have a three year partnership across the CSP’s Fit for Work initiative.
Physiotherapists have a key role to play in preventing and treating work related ill-health and can advise on safe exercise to improve health, keeping employees free from absence. On W@WD, physiotherapists will be providing services at Aviva’s sites in Eastleigh, Sheffield and Norwich.
How can my clients get involved with Workout at Work Day?
Your clients can get involved too! Aviva are offering to provide W@WD for Large Corporate clients and all you have to do is request support.
Here is a list of just some of the activites your clients could do:
- Organise a lunchtime walk, run or cycle, or a team game such as football
- Make use of facilities which are freely available - e.g. local parks or outdoor gyms. Visit the Great Outdoor Gym Company website to find an outdoor gym in your area
- Hold a `walk and talk’ meeting rather than sitting round a table
- Get off the bus or tube a stop early
- Use the stairs rather than using the lift
- Use the CSP’s 'do you sit at your desk' leaflet for some ideas on exercises and stretches you can do in the office
Aviva will also provide a fully-trained physiotherapist to visit your client's office, running a drop-in physio clinic and/or physio workshops.
If you're interested in organising a W@WD for your clients, contact your Account Manager for more information.
Workout at Work Day can kick start healthier habits
- 89% said it increased their knowledge and understanding of the importance of exercise
- 90% said it had increased their understanding of the role physios play in public health
- 77% said they were very/extremely likely to build more activity into their daily lives
Free CSP advice
The CSP has free online resources to help your clients get their employees more active. These include:
- A set of postcards with exercises for office-based workers.
- Fit for Work - which provides advice for office-based workers or those employed in sedentary jobs. This includes practical advice on how to improve health at work and ideas for addressing workplace stress.
- Easy Exercise Guide - offering advice on taking the first steps towards a healthier lifestyle.
- Under Pressure - a leaflet looking at the link between physical activity and mental wellbeing, with advice on staying happy and healthy at work.
- Fitness Profits - a booklet offering advice to employers about the role physiotherapy can play in keeping staff healthy and productive.
- Drive Clear of Pain - a step-by-step guide to correct car set-up, plus some simple stretches for when you take a break from the wheel.
For more information on how your clients can benefit from a Workout at Work Day, contact your Account Manager.
Can we help you?
Think of us as part of your team.
Find the right details on our Contact Us page