- Our Approach to Privacy
The privacy and security of your personal information is very important to us. We want to assure you that your information will be properly managed and protected whilst in our hands. We will never sell your personal information to third parties.
- The information we collect and how we collect it
Information you provide to Aviva
We collect the information that you provide to us via the Websites when you register for and use MyAviva or obtain a quote or buy products and services via any of the Websites.
This information may include:
- basic personal details such as your name, address, e-mail address or date of birth;
- additional information about your lifestyle and insurance requirements, such as details of your car, your home, your household or your travel arrangements;
- sensitive personal information – in certain cases we may collect sensitive personal information such as health information or disclosures about previous criminal convictions. We will always be clear to explain when and why we need this information and the purposes for which we will use it and will obtain your explicit consent to use sensitive personal information;
- information about other members of your household or family, for example, family members who may drive your car or who may be included on a travel insurance policy or on whose life you take out a life insurance policy; and
- your marketing and communication preferences.
Information collected from third parties
We use information from public sources such as the electoral roll and the British Geological Survey, and from credit agencies and other third parties. This information may be used in various ways, such as to assess your application for a product, service or quote, to verify your identity, carry out anti-fraud checks, provide you with premium and payment options or to provide you with tailored offers.
We will always be transparent with you about how we use this information including providing further information in our fair processing notices and obtaining your consent where necessary.
Please note that if you choose to populate a registration form on a Website with details that originate from a social media provider such as Facebook, or from another related Aviva website, such as the Aviva Community Fund, we cannot control or verify the information supplied, nor accept liability for any information supplied which may be false, misleading, corrupted, tampered with or inaccurate.
Information we collect through Cookies and similar technologies
We collect information through “Cookies” and other similar technologies (e.g. pixel tags or links), to remember you when you visit the Websites so we can improve your online experience to suit your needs. These help us understand how you and others use our Websites, view our products and respond to our advertising, so we can tailor direct marketing and enhance our overall product and service offering.
We may also use your information in pseudonymised and/or anonymised form (so that you cannot be identified) to analyse how people use our Websites, view our products and respond to our advertising.
When you receive direct marketing from us via email, we may use also use technology e.g. pixel tags or links to determine your use of and interest in our direct marketing.
Other information we collect
When you visit one of our Websites, we automatically record your computer’s IP address. This information is retained and used to note your interest in our Websites.
- How we use and share your information within the Aviva Group
We may share and aggregate information about you from across the Aviva Group and depending on your preferences, we may use this information to help us identify products and services that may be of interest to you. This enables us to tailor and package our products and services, determine pricing and offer you available discounts.
If you purchase a product or service from us, your personal information will be used for the purposes of administration (including underwriting, determining premiums, managing claims and offering renewals). We will provide you with further information in our fair processing notices at the time of purchase.
Information about you or your use of our products and services, the Websites and mobile applications may also be used for research and statistical purposes, for example, to analyse and predict individuals' or groups of people’s behaviour, preferences and interests.
We may, as a matter of law, and without requiring notice or consent, use your information for crime and fraud prevention, systems administration within the Aviva Group and to monitor and/or enforce Aviva's compliance with any regulatory rules and codes.
- How we share your information outside of the Aviva Group
If you purchase a product or service, your personal information will be shared with our associated companies, introducers, intermediaries, reinsurers and your broker or agent for the purposes of administration (as detailed above). We will provide you with further information in our fair processing notices at the time of purchase.
We may, as a matter of law and without requiring notice or consent, share your personal information with regulatory, fraud prevention and law enforcement bodies.
Your information may be disclosed when we believe in good faith that the disclosure is:
- required by law;
- to protect the safety of our employees, the public or Aviva property;
- required to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order or legal process; or
- in the event of a merger, asset sale, or other related transaction.
We may disclose your information to third party suppliers or service providers to conduct our business, for example, to help us manage and store data, provide data analytics, etc.
In addition, unless you opt out of receiving direct marketing, we may share your information with third parties who help us conduct market research and run our marketing campaigns.
- Personal information of others
If you give us information about another person (for example a family member or a client), it is your responsibility to ensure and confirm that:
- Data transfer and consent
Your information may be transferred by any Aviva Group company to any country, including countries outside of the European Economic Area (EEA), for processing, storage, administration or any other use stated in this policy. The purposes and processing associated with any such transfer will comply with all applicable data protection regulations, including the UK Data Protection Act, and with our obligation to adequately protect and secure your personal information. We will ensure that every data controller or processor to whom we pass your information agrees to treat your information with the same level of protection as required by the Data Protection regulations in the UK and EU.
By providing your personal information to Aviva you consent to the transfer of your information as described above.
We are committed to protecting the confidentiality and security of the information that you provide to us and we put in place appropriate technical, physical and organisational security measures to protect against any unauthorised access or damage to, or disclosure or loss of, your information.
- Managing your marketing preferences
- provide you with updates and offers for Aviva’s products and services via marketing tailored to you, whether on MyAviva, or by direct marketing (e.g. phone, e-mail, text, social networking channels, post); and
- use information we hold about you from across the Aviva Group to help us identify, tailor and package our products and services, determine pricing and offer discounts that may be of interest to you.
We want you to have control over how we use your information to make offers and how we communicate these to you.
- We will always give you the opportunity to ‘opt out’ of direct marketing when you complete a registration with us, request an online quote, purchase a product or service online or receive any email, text or other direct marketing communication.
- You can change your marketing preferences to 'opt out' at any other time by contacting us
- If you are logged in to MyAviva, we would like to provide you with customised quotes and offers. If you would rather not see these offers, you can change your preference at any time within the Profile section of MyAviva. If you choose to opt out of this type of tailored marketing, you will still see general marketing offers on MyAviva but will not see any offers that use your personal information.
- We will not use sensitive personal details (such as information relating to your health record or any criminal issues) in order to provide you with marketing, discounts or pricing unless you have given your explicit consent to allow us to use this information for these purposes.
- Update your information or change your marketing preferences
Please let us know if your information changes as it is important that the information we hold about you is accurate and up to date.
You can ask us to update or correct your personal information or opt out of Aviva’s use of your information for marketing purposes by contacting us using any of the following methods:
By Phone: 01603 622200 or +44 1603 604999 (from abroad)
By email: email@example.com
To change your marketing preferences:
Mailing Exclusion Team
PO Box 6412
To update your personal information:
PO Box 4
You can also choose whether you wish to see tailored offers within MyAviva by changing your preferences within your Profile on MyAviva
- Data subject access request
You have the right to request a copy of all the personal information we hold about you in a Subject Access Request. To do this, simply write to us at the address below (see How to Contact us) enclosing a cheque for £10.00 payable to Aviva to cover our administrative costs in dealing with your request. We will take all reasonable steps to confirm your identity before providing you with details of any personal information we may hold about you.
- How to contact us
The Data Protection Team