Warning for Cambridgeshire residents in wake of floods

Article date: 22 October 2001

With flood warnings in place across Cambridgeshire, NorwichUnion is urging residents to take immediate preventative measuresto help minimise damage.

Figures from the Environment Agency show that only one person inten takes any action to prepare for flooding.

While Norwich Union continues to lobby the Government for betterdefences to combat future flooding, there are steps homeowners cantake to minimise damage to their homes and belongings and be wellprepared for the worst.

Norwich Union has developed the following advice for residents– but reminds them not to put themselves at risk whilstsecuring their home.

  • Protect entrances and external doors with sandbags, ifavailable
  • Where possible, turn off gas and electricity at the mains,move furniture and electrical items upstairs – don’trisk an accident or hurt yourself by carrying heavy items
  • Ensure you have your insurance documentation to hand withhelpline numbers and other emergency contact numbers
  • If you have time, seal delicate items in plastic bags toprotect them from water damage – but don’t putyourself in danger by spending time going this, when you should begetting to a place of safety
  • Pack a small selection of dry clothes and essentialtoiletries, including any medicines
  • If you are unable to leave your property, fill a vacuum flaskwith a hot drink and take items such as a torch, warm clothing, abattery-operated radio (tuned to the local station for updates)and a mobile telephone (if you have one) upstairs, until thedanger has passed or help arrives. Don’t try to walk ordrive through floodwater.

Nick Pierson, head of household products, Norwich UnionInsurance, said: “There are simple precautions Cambridgeshireresidents can take to help minimise the damage and heartache floodscan cause.

“But if people have been unlucky enough to already sufferflooding, we recommend they call their insurer’s emergencyhelpline or contact their broker as soon as possible.

“The sooner the damage is reported, the faster insurerscan get experts into your home to assess the damage. However, itcan sometimes take several months for properties to dry out and forresidents to return to their homes.”

To make a claim, policyholders should call the Norwich Union 24hour Clubline on 0800 012345 or 0800 555333 (all calls arefree).

Further information on floods is available from the EnvironmentAgency flood helpline on 0845 9881188 or visit their website atwww.environment-agency.gov.uk

This release was issued to relevant regional press in thefollowing areas: Essex, Cambridgeshire, Herts, Norfolk, Suffolk,Midlands, Southeast, Wales.

Notes to Editors:

  • Norwich Union Insurance Limited. Registered in England Number99122 Registered Office 8 Surrey Street Norwich NR1 3NG
  • Member of the General Insurance Standards Council
  • CGU plc and Norwich Union plc merged on 30 May 2000 to createCGNU plc, the UK’s largest insurance group and one of thetop-five insurers in Europe with substantial positions in othermarkets around the world, making it the world’s sixthlargest insurer based on gross worldwide premiums.
  • CGNU’s principal business activities are long-termsavings, fund management and general insurance, with worldwidepremium income and retail investment sales from ongoing businessof over £27 billion, and assets under management of more than £200billion (as at 30 June 2001)
  • From October 2000, the combined life and pensions, generalinsurance and retail fund management businesses in the UK operateunder the Norwich Union brand, while the institutional investmentbusiness operates under the Morley Fund Management brand.
  • Norwich Union’s news releases are available on thissite
  • A selection of images are available from the CGNU Newscastsite at www.Newscast.co.uk

For further information contact Anja Kueppers/Matthew Buchananat QBO on 020 7379 0304 or Liz Kennett/Jenny Chapman at NorwichUnion on 08703 666 864

Back to top