Article date: 26 March 2002
Staff at Norwich Union have risen to the challenge and raised£180,000 in just nine months for their 2001 staff charity of theyear – Cancer and Leukaemia in Childhood (CLIC) - enough topay for five specialist cancer care nurses for a full year.
The funds – which include pound for pound matching byNorwich Union – were handed over to CLIC following ninemonths of frantic fundraising by energetic staff.
Some of the more adventurous fund raising activitiesincluded:
- A team of four completed a Spanish cycle ride over five daysraising a grand total of £16,700 – with the matching fromNorwich Union taking this to a staggering £33,400.
- An adventurous white water rafting event at the National WaterSports Centre in Nottingham raising £2,680 – with NorwichUnion doubling this to £5,360. One member of the team summed thisup as exhausting, exhilarating and extreme!
- Staff member Ann Rnic, whose son is in remission from cancer,arranged a karaoke performance followed by a 17 mile sponsoredwalk raising a superb £1,500 – with matching from NorwichUnion taking this up to £3,000.
- Teams from across the company took part in an outward boundchallenge – including kayaking, raft building and hiking toraise – with matching - £8,000.
David Czerwinski, of Norwich Union, said: “We have beendelighted with the enthusiastic support by the staff in raisingfunds for their chosen charity. Almost everyone knows someone whohas been affected by cancer - with cancer in children beingparticularly distressing. The money raised, together with thematching of funds by Norwich Union, will help towards making lifebetter through the specialist care and support offered byCLIC."
Querida Williams, from CLIC, said: “We are delighted withthe support from Norwich Union staff and the company itself.£180,000 is enough to fund a CLIC nurse for five years or a playspecialist* for nine years, so the money raised will make a realdifference”.
Press office contacts:
James Evans, Norwich Union 08703 66 68 78 Out of hours 07790487105 Louise Goffee, Norwich Union 08703 66 68 70 Out of hours07810 057362
"Norwich Union staff have a cracking good time rasing £180,000for Cancer and Leukaemia in Childhood (CLIC)". Please clickhere to view picture.
Notes to editors
- *CLIC nurses work in hospitals, clinics and the communityproviding care for children with cancer and leukaemia at home.This reduces the need for hospital visits and enables routinetreatment and support to be administered in the most appropriateplace. This also provides continuity of care throughout the courseof the child’s treatment. Play specialists work in cancerwards across the country and use art and play to encouragechildren to work through their fears and feelings, making longperiods of treatment much more bearable.
- Norwich Union is the UK’s largest insurer. It is theUK’s largest provider of life, pensions and investmentproducts and one of the leading IFA providers. IFAs provide around75% of the company’s long-term savings business.
- Norwich Union has strategic alliances with over 20 buildingsocieties and other leading UK brand names including TescoPersonal Finance Limited and The Royal Bank of ScotlandGroup.
- Norwich Union’s news releases are available on thisinternet site
- A selection of images is available from the CGNU Newscast siteat www.newscast.co.uk
- An ISDN facility is available for studio quality interviews.Call the press office on 08703 66 68 73
For all life & pensions media enquiries 08703 66 68 73
For all other media enquiries 08703 66 68 68