Article date: 3 April 2002
Norwich Union Insurance has announced changes to its executiveteam, following the appointment of Bryan Jenkins, currently retailbusiness director, as chief executive of Hibernian Group,CGNU’s Irish operation, based in Dublin. Jenkins is tosucceed Pat McGorrian, who retires on 30 June 2002.
Cathryn Riley, currently operations director, will become retailbusiness director for Norwich Union Insurance, with responsibilityfor the retail direct business and Hill House Hammond. KenApplegate, currently change management director, will becomeoperations director, based in Norwich.
Commenting on the changes, Patrick Snowball, chief executive ofNorwich Union Insurance, said: “I’m delighted for Bryanand wish him every success in his new role as CEO of one ofIreland’s largest and most respected financial servicesorganisations.”
He added: “I believe that Cathryn’s operationalknowledge and experience will be of huge value to Norwich UnionRetail and Hill House Hammond, and I’m confident that shewill drive further growth and success for the business.”
“Ken Applegate’s priority will be to lead ouroperations function in delivering our goals of service, morale andprofit – both by building upon the improvements initiated byCathryn and by exploiting our systems enhancements and addressingcustomer service.”
The Norwich Union appointments will become effective from 1 June2002. Bryan Jenkins will take up his new role on 1 July 2002. Allappointments are subject to regulatory approval.
For further information, please contact: Sue Winston,Norwich Union press office – 08703 66 68 66
Notes to editors
- Photographs of Bryan Jenkins, Cathryn Riley and Ken Applegateare available from the CGNU Newscast site atwww.newscast.co.uk
- Norwich Union is the UK’s largest insurer. In generalinsurance it is more than 1.5 times the size of its nearestcompetitor, and has a 19 per cent share of the market. It has afocus on insurance for individuals and small businesses. Itinsures:
- one in five households
- one in five motor vehicles
- more than 700,000 businesses
- Norwich Union products are available through a variety ofdistribution channels including brokers, corporate partners suchas banks and building societies, and Norwich Union Direct.
- Norwich Union’s news releases are available on thisinternet site
- An ISDN line is available for studio quality interviews. Callthe press office 08703 66 68 68
- Norwich Union Insurance Limited Registered in England. Number99122 Registered Office 8 Surrey Street Norwich NR1 3NG
- Member of the CGNU Group of companies and of the GeneralInsurance Standards Council
- Hibernian leads the Irish general insurance market, with 26%market share; it also has a 13% share of the life and pensionsmarket.
Bryan Jenkins - CEO, Hibernian Group
- Degree in Computer Science and Mathematics
- Seven years with American Express, finishing as Vice PresidentBanking Operations
- Three years with IBM as the Account Director for insurancecompanies
- Five years as Managing Director of Frizzell InsuranceServices, a privately owned financial services companyspecialising in personal lines and commercial insurance
- Three successful years as Managing Director of Hill HouseHammond
- In early 2000, was appointed Retail Business Director ofNorwich Union Insurance, responsible for NU Direct, FordInsure andHill House Hammond.
- Bryan was born in 1955 and is married with two sons.
Cathryn Riley - retail business director, Norwich UnionInsurance
- Started her career with British Coal before working forBritish Airways, Coopers & Lybrand and BUPA as GeneralManager.
- Joined Commercial Union in 1996. Immediately prior to themerger with Norwich Union, Cathryn was CGU’s retailoperations director on the UK Executive Board for GeneralInsurance.
- Appointed operations director for Norwich Union Insurancefollowing the merger; responsibility for 3500 employees andaccountable for underwriting and servicing of personal lines,small business insurance centres, corporate partnershipsoperations, plus all cash and collections for intermediarybusiness and corporate partnerships – representing some £4bnof premium income.
- Recently appointed company director for Norwich UnionHealthcare.
- Cathryn, 39, is single.
Ken Applegate - operations director, Norwich UnionInsurance
- Joined Norwich Union in 1979 from Unilever ComputerServices.
- Was involved in developing systems in general insurance,marine, life, investment and Europe.
- Moved into the general insurance senior management team in theearly ‘90s, where he was responsible for managing systemsrequirements within IT.
- Moved on to developing and delivering new customerpropositions. Prior to the merger Ken was responsible for thedelivery of insurance policy servicing for Norwich UnionInsurance.
- Led the integration of the CGU and Norwich Union UK generalinsurance businesses, before taking up the role of changemanagement director within the new Norwich Union Insurance.
- Ken, who was born in Norfolk in 1955, is married to Margaret.They have two daughters aged 18 and 16. He is a keen supporter ofNorwich City and plays badminton regularly.