Article date: 25 June 2002
Almost two-thirds of Britons believe there will be a cure forall types of cancer in the next 20 years, a study revealstoday.
New research from Norwich Union Healthcare shows that people arefeeling more optimistic about the future of their health than everbefore, thanks to recent developments in the world of medicine.
Cancer, Parkinson’s disease and arthritis topped the pollof health problems that people think there will be cures for in thenear future – with women more optimistic than men when itcomes to predicting medical breakthroughs.
As far as cosmetic treatments are concerned, more than a quarterof women are convinced the future holds a cure for cellulite andwrinkles. And 35% of men have their fingers crossed that scientistswill find a cure for that age-old problem – baldness.
In fact, 85 per cent of people agree there will be a rise incosmetic surgery in the next 20 years.
The ‘Hopes for a Healthier Future’ study revealsthat people are most positive about finding cures for:
- Parkinson’s disease
- Heart disease
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
The research among 1,000 adults also revealed that more than twoin five people think medical records on computer chips will be thenorm by 2020 along with virtual doctors and internet surgeries.
And a quarter of people are even positive minded enough toenvisage an end to the NHS waiting lists in as little as 20 yearstime.
Dr Doug Wright, clinical development manager at Norwich UnionHealthcare, said: “Although many people are much morehealth-conscious these days, the levels of cancer and heart diseasecontinue to rise, and stories of under-investment and over-workedstaff in the NHS constantly fill the news.
“It seems, however, that people are optimistic about thefuture of their health in the hands of the health service. Ourresearch shows more than two thirds of Britons believe that thepublic and private healthcare sectors will become less clearlydefined over the next 20 years.”
Press contact: Matthew Buchanan or Jo Misson at QBO on 020 73790304 or Louise Zucchi at Norwich Union on 08703 66 68 60 or 07860203 466
Notes to editors
- Norwich Union Healthcare commissioned research amongst 1000adults in May 2002.
- Norwich Union Healthcare is the healthcare arm of NorwichUnion and provides a range of private medical insurance and incomeprotection products to around 750,000 customers. It is one of thelargest providers of income protection and private medicalinsurance in the UK.
- Member of the General Insurance Standards Council
- Norwich Union’s news releases are available on theinternet at www.cgnu-group.com
- A selection of images is available from the CGNU Newscast siteat www.newscast.co.uk
- An ISDN facility is available for studio quality broadcast.Call the press office on 08703 66 68 68