Article date: 27 June 2002
Leading adolescent health campaigner Dr Russell Viner, workingwith Norwich Union Healthcare, will be presenting research onhospital care for teenagers to doctors at the British MedicalAssociation’s (BMA) annual meeting in Harrogate next week(1-4 July).
Dr Viner, consultant in adolescent medicine and endocrinology atUniversity College London Hospitals, worked with Norwich UnionHealthcare in commissioning the research entitled ‘The Viewsof Adolescents and Nurses on the Provision of Healthcare inHospitals’.
He will be presenting the research findings at the conferenceand leading a discussion about the urgent need to improve healthservices for young people in both private and public healthcaresystems.
Norwich Union Healthcare launched the report – whichincludes research amongst both teenagers and nurses - in Januarythis year. Interest in the report has been overwhelming, with morethan 800 healthcare professionals and NHS Trusts requestingcopies.
And some NHS hospitals have indicated that they intend to takepractical action as a result of recommendations made in thereport.
Nicole Hockley, communications manager at Norwich UnionHealthcare, said: “We’ve been delighted with theresponse from such a wide range of healthcare professionals who areclearly keen to improve services for teenagers.
“Evidence suggests that teenagers who stay in anadolescent ward may recuperate more quickly than those who stay ina children’s or adult ward. As a result, we encouragehealthcare professionals to make hospital and community healthservices for adolescents a priority and hope our research plays apart in making people act.”
Dr Viner will be presenting at the Norwich Union Healthcarestand at the BMA Annual Representative Meeting and Exhibition at2pm on Monday 1 July 2002.
Matthew Buchanan at QBO on 020 7379 0304/07905 779 197 or LouiseZucchi at Norwich Union on 08703 66 68 60 or 07860 203 466
Notes to editors
- Norwich Union Healthcare commissioned research amongst 1000adults in May 2002.
- Norwich Union Healthcare is the healthcare arm of NorwichUnion and provides a range of private medical insurance and incomeprotection products to around 750,000 customers. It is one of thelargest providers of income protection and private medicalinsurance in the UK.
- Member of the General Insurance Standards Council
- Norwich Union’s news releases are available on thisinternet site
- A selection of images is available from the CGNU Newscast siteat www.newscast.co.uk
- An ISDN facility is available for studio quality broadcast.Call the press office on 08703 66 68 68
For all life and pension media enquiries 08703 66 68 73
For all other media enquiries 08703 66 68 68