Article date: 23 July 2002
An academy has been launched by Norwich Union to give its 4,500claims staff the opportunity to develop their skills and aid theircareer progression.
The academy, which was designed in-house, will help claims staffoffer an improved, efficient, consistent and informed service tocustomers and brokers.
The training awards have been tailored to the specific needs ofstaff and the business and different levels of awards will beavailable including certificates and diplomas.
Staff will achieve these awards by providing evidence of theirlevel of competency following activities such as formal trainingcourses, technology based training, interactive workshops,on-the-job training and mentoring.
The awards have achieved external accreditation and arerecognised by the Oxford Cambridge RSA examination board, one ofthe UK’s major awarding bodies.
Norwich Union’s director of claims, Simon Machell,commented: "We spend about £3.5 billion each year on settlingclaims so it's really important that our people have good trainingin how they manage and deliver the claims service. We believe thistraining will build on the knowledge, skills and behaviour of ourstaff, and we have used experts within the business to design thetraining material to ensure that everybody has the best possibletraining available."
It is anticipated that every member of claims staff across the23 claims locations in the UK will eventually participate in thisacademy. Further levels of training will also be included in thefuture.
Press contact at Norwich Union:
Lucy Haughey on 08703 66 68 67 (out of hours 07860 161720)
Notes to editors
- Norwich Union is the UK’s largest insurer. In generalinsurance it is more than 1.5 times the size of its nearestcompetitor, and has a 19 per cent share of the market.
- It has a focus on insurance for individuals and smallbusinesses. It insures:
- one in five households
- one in five motor vehicles
- more than 700,000 businesses
- Norwich Union products are available through a variety ofdistribution channels including brokers, corporate partners suchas banks and building societies, and Norwich Union Direct.
- Norwich Union’s news releases are available on theinternet at www.aviva.com
- A selection of images is available from the Aviva Newscastsite at www.newscast.co.uk
- An ISDN line is available for studio quality interviews. Callthe press office 08703 66 68 68
- Norwich Union Insurance Limited Registered in England Number99122 Registered Office. 8 Surrey Street Norwich NR1 3NG
For all life & pensions media enquiries 08703 66 68 73
For all other media enquiries 08703 66 68 68