Article date: 15 November 2002
With the winter holiday season almost upon us, Norwich UnionDirect has re-launched its travel insurance products.
As part of the re-launch, a new UK breakdown and recoveryservice has been introduced as a standard part of cover on allsingle trip and annual travel policies.
The insurer has joined forces with the RAC to offer ‘UKMotor Breakdown Rescue and Recovery’ for holidaymakerstravelling to and from the airport, or other departure point in theUK.
This service includes ‘Two Way’ recovery - where ifthe vehicle cannot be repaired immediately, Norwich Union Directwill arrange for the passengers to be taken to their departurepoint and the vehicle to be repaired.
Other new features of Norwich Union Direct’s travelinsurance policies include:
- Reduced rates on annual travel insurance policies. Forexample, a worldwide annual travel policy for a family of twoadults and two children costs just £94.881. An annualpolicy for an individual travelling to Europe costs just£42.702.
- Improved winter sports cover – off-piste skiing allowedunder supervision and in areas deemed safe by resort management,and the provision of claims for damage or loss to hired skis up to£200.
- Airport car park discounts. Norwich Union Direct customers canreceive a discount of up to 29 per cent off the gateprice3 at 19 UK airports through BCP car parks.
- The age limit on single trip travel insurance has beenincreased from 65 years to 69 years.
- New ‘Travel Essentials’ section on Norwich UnionDirect’s website - www.norwichuniondirect.co.uk - withadvice and information for travellers, including planningholidays, details about vaccinations and what to do if somethinggoes wrong. It also includes a feedback area for people to sharetheir real life travel experiences.
Commenting on the updated products, Frankie Nicholson, productdevelopment manager at Norwich Union, said: “With travel andholidays becoming ever more popular as our lives get busier,it’s important that we continually review and refresh ourproducts and services to ensure we are delivering what ourcustomers want.
“We recognise that holidays begin as soon as you leavehome, which is why we've added this breakdown rescue cover asstandard to our travel policies. If a customer breaks down on theway to or from the airport the RAC will come out to repair thevehicle - or if it cannot be repaired at the roadside, we’lltake the passengers to their departure point."
Norwich Union is also a partner in the Foreign and CommonwealthOffice's ‘Know Before you Go’ campaign, which is aimedat helping British nationals stay safe when travelling overseas.Additional information on travel destinations is available atwww.fco.gov.uk/knowbeforeyougo.
For more information about Norwich Union Direct’s travelproducts, customers should call 0800 092 7197 or visithttp://www.norwichuniondirect.co.uk/ and receive a 10 per centdiscount for taking out cover on-line.
Liz Kennett – Norwich Union press office on 08703 666863 /07801 901666.
Notes to editors
1 The price is based on a family group made up of 2adults aged between 19 and 64, and 2 children under 19. Baggagecover is excluded. 10% extra discount available if buyingon-line.
2 The price is based on an individual aged between 19and 64 years. Baggage cover is excluded. 10% extra discountavailable if buying on-line.
3 The gate price is price paid if the customer turns upat the airport without pre-booking a space. The discount variesaccording to the airport.
- Norwich Union is the UK’s largest insurer. In generalinsurance it is more than 1.5 times the size of its nearestcompetitor, and has a 19 per cent share of the market.
- It has a focus on insurance for individuals and smallbusinesses. It insures:
- one in five households
- one in five motor vehicles
- more than 700,000 businesses
- Norwich Union products are available through a variety ofdistribution channels including brokers, corporate partners suchas banks and building societies and Norwich Union Direct.
- Norwich Union’s news releases are available on the Avivaplc website at www.aviva.com
- A selection of images are available from the Norwich UnionNewscast site at www.newscast.co.uk
For all life and pension media enquiries 08703 66 68 73
For all other media enquiries 08703 66 68 68
Members of the General Insurance Standards Council
Members of the Aviva group