Article date: 23 December 2002
Stranded motorists will get more than their car repaired whenthey breakdown on a chilly winter’s day – they’llget tea and sympathy too.
Norwich Union, the UK’s largest motor insurer, is todaylaunching Norwich Union Rescue with the offer of hot drinks tocustomers while they wait for their vehicle to be mended – agoodwill gesture not limited to just the festive season.
As well as offering some creature comforts to motorists, theinsurer is also using its expertise in risk-based pricing so thecustomer pays a price for their breakdown cover which is tailoredto their own circumstances. Prices will start from £22 (including£5 discount when bought over the internet).
Other benefits of the new Norwich Union Rescue serviceinclude:
- ‘Keep Talking I’ where the call handler will makea call on the motorist’s behalf and he or she will have useof the patrolman’s mobile phone
- ‘Keep Talking II’ where experienced call staffwill be available by phone to reassure any lone drivers who arewaiting for the patrolman to arrive. This call will go through tothe police if the driver is in an unsafe location.
Norwich Union Rescue will be available for private car and vandrivers whether they take out Norwich Union motor insurance ornot.
Initially 32 Norwich Union Rescue branded patrol vehicles willbe out and about on the UK’s roads. While this fleet is beingexpanded, back-up will be provided by RAC.
Shirley Gabriel, product manager for Norwich Union Rescue, said:“Norwich Union Rescue will offer numerous benefits to makethe stranded driver feel safe and cared for. These include theskills of highly trained patrolmen, the chance to talk to a phoneoperator until help arrives and a hot drink and biscuits whilerepairs are being carried out.
“And in addition to that, the motorist will not pay a flatrate for breakdown cover but a price which reflects their risk andneed for cover. The price they pay will be for them and themalone.”
Customers wanting a quote or more information about NorwichUnion Rescue should call 08000 156156 (from December 18).
For further information contact Jenny Chapman at NorwichUnion on 08703 66 68 64/07775 822642
Photographs to accompany this press release are available fromthe press office – call 08703 66 68 68.
Notes to editors
- Norwich Union is the UK’s largest insurer with a marketshare of around 16 per cent and is more than 1.5 times the size ofits nearest rival. It is also the largest personal linesinsurer.
- It has a focus on insurance for individuals and smallbusinesses. It insures:
- one in five households
- one in five motor vehicles
- more than 700,000 businesses
- Norwich Union products are available through a variety ofdistribution channels including brokers, corporate partners suchas banks and building societies and Norwich Union Direct.
- Norwich Union’s news releases are available on the Avivaplc website at www.aviva.com
- A selection of images is available from the Norwich UnionNewscast site at www.newscast.co.uk
- An ISDN facility is available for studio quality interviews.Call the press office on 08703 66 68 68
For all life & pensions media enquiries 08703 66 68 73
For all other media enquiries 08703 66 68 68