Article date: 23 July 2003
Company car drivers face being stranded abroad unless they haveadequate insurance cover for overseas travel, according to NorwichUnion.
The insurer is urging fleet managers to check their policiesbefore staff head for the Continent in company vehicles thissummer.
Andy Keane, senior motor underwriter, says: “Most fleetpolicies will provide the minimum legal requirement of cover forforeign travel. This tends to insure only third-party injury andvehicle damage in the event of a traffic accident.
“Unless the driver has the full policy benefits that hewould expect to have in this country, he runs the risk of having topay for damage to his own car, plus recovery and repatriation.
“Fleet managers need to inform drivers of any coverlimitations in driving abroad and come to some arrangement toprotect staff in case of accidents.”
In addition, Norwich Union recommends that fleet managersprovide staff with a travel abroad pack, including advice andguidance on the rules of the road in different countries andinformation on breakdown recovery.
For further editorial information contact Debbie Wells,Staniforth on 0161 274 0100 or mobile: 07980 833067 or David Ross,Norwich Union Press Office on 08703 666865 or mobile: 07786526350.
Notes to editors
- Norwich Union is the UK’s largest insurer with a marketshare of around 16 per cent and is more than 1.5 times the size ofits nearest rival. It is also the largest personal linesinsurer.
- It has a focus on insurance for individuals and smallbusinesses. It insures:
- one in five households
- one in five motor vehicles
- more than 700,000 businesses
- Norwich Union products are available through a variety ofdistribution channels including brokers, corporate partners suchas banks and building societies and Norwich Union Direct.
- Norwich Union’s news releases and a selection ofimages are available on the Aviva internet press centre atwww.aviva.com/media.
- An ISDN facility is available for studio quality interviews.Call the press office on 08703 66 68 68
For all life & pensions media enquiries 08703 66 6873
For all other media enquiries 08703 66 68 68