Article date: 5 November 2003
Norwich Union Risk Services has produced an onlinerisk management guide to help motor traders minimise their risk ofexposure to vehicle key theft.
The company has seen a 50 percent increase inthe number of claims where criminal gangs have stolen the masterkey fob to access forecourt vehicles over the past 12 months– and is advising its customers to pay extra vigilance to keymanagement and security for both vehicle and premises keys.
The guide - available to download at www.nu-riskservices.co.uk/hardfacts/motor_vehicle.htm- highlights some of the most common tricks up the thieves’sleeves and suggests some simple solutions.
Barry Hogg from Norwich Union, said: "Asvehicles have become harder to steal, criminal gangs have startedto pay greater attention to the theft of vehicle keys as a quickfix solution. Motor traders should be looking at a number ofdifferent precautions to reduce their risk of vehicle key theft,both during and outside of normal working hours.
"Some of the areas motor traders should consider are increasedvigilance surrounding day-to-day key management, a greaterawareness of the importance of key handling among all staff andinvestment in physical deterrents such as lockable key cabinetswhich should be sited in an alarmed area out of the public view forout-of-hours protection."
For further information, please contact: DebbieWells or Alison Owen at Staniforth on 0161 274 0100 or David Rossat Norwich Union on 08703 66 68 65/07786 526350.
Notes to editors
About Norwich Union
- Norwich Union is the UK’s largest insurer with a marketshare of around 16 per cent and is more than 1.5 times the size ofits nearest rival. It is also the largest personal linesinsurer.
- It has a focus on insurance for individuals and smallbusinesses. It insures:
- · One in five households
- · One in five motor vehicles
- · More than 700,000 businesses
- Norwich Union products are available through a variety ofdistribution channels including brokers, corporate partners suchas banks and building societies and Norwich Union Direct.
- Norwich Union’s news releases and a selection of imagesare available on the Aviv internet press centre atwww.aviva.com/media.
- An ISDN facility is available for studio quality broadcast.Call the press office on 08703 66 68 68
For all life & pensions media enquiries 08703 66 68 73
For all other media enquiries 08703 66 68 68