Article date: 1 March 2004
Norwich Union Healthcare revealed details today of aninnovative, flexible group private medical insurance (PMI) modularproduct for schemes for between 10 to 49 employees.
An extension of their already popular Solutions product, itincludes a comprehensive set of core benefits and a selection ofadditional benefits that the employer has the option to choosefrom. They can add extra benefits or select from a range of costcontainment options and can also mix-and-match the options to fitbest with their company structure, their company’s needs andcurrent benefits. This modular approach enables employers to createan affordable healthcare proposition adapted to their needs andbudget.
Chris Hanks, head of product management and pricing at NorwichUnion Healthcare, said: "The launch of Solutions for 10 to 49employees follows on from our launch of Solutions for the largegroup market (50 to 249 employees) in May last year. We believe itto be the most comprehensive group PMI product in the market, astraditional products do not have this flexible, modular approach.It also meets intermediary and client wishes for more choice andhas been designed to be very clear and easy to understand."
Hanks continued: "The group PMI market is a key market forNorwich Union Healthcare. The rates for Solutions have beensimplified to streamline the process of obtaining illustrations andwill make it simpler for intermediaries to do business with us.Solutions will replace all our existing group PMI products forgroups of 10 to 249 employees (except Global Care and Global CarePlus). We will migrate existing policies onto Solutions at renewalwith effect from 1 September 2004, this will mean that we now offerone corporate proposition to groups of 10 to 249 employees andshows our continued innovation and commitment to meeting ourcustomers’ needs."
To support the launch of Solutions there is a promotionalcampaign aimed at intermediaries and a new suite of literature,this will be followed by a campaign aimed at corporatecustomers.
The expansion of Solutions to cover schemes from 10 to 249employees does not affect Norwich Union Healthcare’s othercorporate PMI schemes. Companies with more than 249 employees canstill benefit from Norwich Union Healthcare’s Optimum Scheme,which is specifically designed to meet the needs of largerbusinesses.
Commission payable for Solutions is 15% initial and 5% renewal.Agency terms and applications forms are available on request. Theproduct will be available for new business from 1 May 2004.
Solutions includes access to Personal Health Manager for allemployees covered under the scheme. Norwich Union Healthcare hasset up a one month free trial* for Personal Health Manager forintermediaries. From 1 March intermediaries should log on atwww.personalhealthmanager.co.uk,and register with the one month trial access code: 2C55E90A1. Thisaccess code is only valid for March 2004. For more information onSolutions, or for a free one month trial* of Personal HealthManager intermediaries should call the Healthcare Bureau on 08453000 649.
Press office contacts:
Lorna Wiltshire 01904 723236 Out of hours 07788 471849
James Evans 01904 452791 Out of hours 07790 487105
Notes to Editors
Journalists wanting a limited free trial to Personal HealthManager please visit www.personalhealthmanager.co.ukand log in as a first time users with access code C216468C6. Oncelogged in this code will allow you to trial Personal Health Manageras a registered user from now until 31 March 2004.* DO NOT PUBLISHTHIS ACCESS CODE – IT IS FOR JOURNALIST USE ONLY. The GPHelpline and Stress Counselling helpline are not available as partof any trial. Personal health Manager is available for use in, andby residents of the UK, Isle of Man and Channel Islands only.Solutions product benefits
Solutions core benefits
- In-patient treatment
- Day-patient treatment
- Consultation, diagnosis and treatment as an Out-patient
- NHS cash benefit
- Key hospital list
- Online access to Personal Health Manager at www.personalhealthmanager.co.uk,including unlimited access to 24 hour GP Helpline and StressCounselling Helpline.
- In-patient and day-patient psychiatric cover
- GP referred services – radiology/pathology, chiropody,podiatry, homeopathy, osteopathy, acupuncture and specialistconsultations for non-acute conditions.
- Dental & Optical Cover - cash towards optical, routinedental expenses and accidental dental injuries.
- Extended Hospital List – Signature Hospital List orTrust Care Hospital List
Solutions cost containment options
- Six Week Option – private in-patient or day-patienttreatment if NHS waiting list is longer than six weeks.
- Member excess - £50, £100, £150 or £200 payable once perperson per policy year
- Selected benefit reduction – option to remove cover forless essential extras e.g. abnormal conditions of pregnancy,investigations into infertility, oral surgery and overseascover.
- Reduced out-patient cover e.g. cost saving option by reducingout-patient cover. Provides cover for 2 out-patient consultations,radiotherapy and chemotherapy and out-patient diagnostic testsrelated to in-patient or day-patient treatment.
- Solutions options matches existing product ranges with oneexception NHS cash benefit for customers on Personal Care andSelect Care where the number of days benefit is reduced from 30days to 25 days.
- Optimum is available to companies with 250 or more employees.This is a product specifically designed for larger schemes toensure they receive a comprehensive product with benefits tailoredto their needs.
Full details of the cover and exclusions are given in the PolicyWording, a specimen copy is available on request. Applications arerequired.
- Norwich Union is the UK's largest insurer. It is a leadingprovider of life, pensions and investment products and one of theleading IFA providers. IFAs provide around 70% of the company'slong-term savings business in the UK
- Norwich Union has strategic alliances with building societiesand other leading UK brand names including Tesco Personal Financeand The Royal Bank of Scotland Group.
- Norwich Union’s news releases and a selection of imagesare available from Aviva's internet press centre at www.aviva.com/media.
Norwich Union Healthcare
- Norwich Union Healthcare was founded in 1990 as the healthcarearm of Norwich Union and now provides a range of income protectionand private medical insurance products that cover over 750,000lives. It is one of the largest providers of income protection andprivate medical insurance in the UK.
- Norwich Union Healthcare is a member of the General InsuranceStandards Council, the Association of British Insurers and theFinancial Ombudsman Service.