Article date: 10 May 2013
- Over 40,000 corporate PMI members have benefited from Aviva’s musculoskeletal (MSK) rehabilitation services
- Reduction in MSK costs across a number of corporate PMI clients of more than 20% seen, when claims managed by unique end-to-end service
- Approach delivers high quality outcomes for customers, while managing healthcare spend and workplace absence
Aviva has launched a new core benefit for its large corporate private medical insurance clients, BacktoBetter, which will help employees with any musculoskeletal conditions get back to work quicker, while reducing claims and absence costs for employers.
Aviva’s BacktoBetter service will combine the health insurer’s award-winning Back-Up and Back-Up Plus programmes in one employee-focused service that helps an employer manage its spend more effectively. Available from 1 June 2013, the new service will provide Aviva’s Optimum private medical insurance clients with cover for all MSK issues for their employees.1
MSK injuries are the leading cost and cause of spend in health claims, as well as one of the leading cause and cost of absence from work. In 2012 they accounted for 32% of Aviva Health’s corporate claims.
The development of BacktoBetter is a result of Aviva’s growing clinical expertise and experience in rehabilitation, through the use of its unique end-to-end MSK condition management approach. The approach delivers good clinical outcomes and has a positive impact on workplace absence, while managing employers’ healthcare spend more efficiently.
Across a number of schemes in Aviva’s large corporate PMI client portfolio, a reduction in MSK costs of more than 20% has been achieved for managed claims when using the end-to-end rehabilitation service.
This is achieved by a more effective management of clinical pathways, which has resulted in a reduction in the number of claims needing to see a specialist (from 61% to 40% of cases), while successfully managing more cases through high-focused physiotherapy (from 39% to 58%), without compromising customer or clinical outcomes.
Through Aviva’s Centre of Rehabilitation Excellence (CoRE),2 BacktoBetter introduces high quality clinical decision-making at the start of the claims journey to make sure that employees get the most appropriate and effective intervention from the outset, to get them better and back to work faster.
Working closely with our strategic rehabilitation partners, BacktoBetter uses an early intervention approach to provide recommendations for very personal, evidence-based treatments.
Mark Sharpe, Rehabilitation Clinical Lead at Aviva, UK Health, says: “BacktoBetter offers our large corporate clients a unique end-to-end management of their employees’ musculoskeletal conditions. Over the past four years, more than 40,000 corporate PMI members have benefited from our rehabilitation expertise and we have firm evidence that our approach offers cost benefits that are far better than those you get using just a traditional clinical triage and managed physiotherapy service.
“It’s about getting the right treatment at the right time, without the need for employees to see a GP and wait for a referral. Our experienced clinical case managers work closely with our partners to ensure there are no unnecessary referrals or treatments, and that when interventions are needed, they are provided quickly with a highly personalised service. This means that employees get better quicker, claims costs are effectively managed and absence from work is reduced.”
BacktoBetter will become a core benefit for large corporate clients with Aviva’s Optimum private medical insurance plan with effect from 1 June 2013.
- ends -
If you are a journalist and would like further information, please contact:
Melissa Loughran; Aviva Press Office: 01904 452791: 07800 691947: firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
1) Aviva’s BackUp service launched in 2009 and has been a core benefit to all large corporate PMI clients to help employees with back conditions. BackUp Plus was introduced as an optional benefit for the treatment of other musculoskeletal issues. BacktoBetter, which launches 1 June 2013, replaces Aviva’s BackUp and BackUp Plus services as a core benefit to all large corporate PMI clients, providing employees with rehabilitation services for all musculoskeletal conditions.
2) About Aviva’s Centre of Rehabilitation Excellence (CoRE): across multiple products, helping individuals recover from all kinds of illnesses and injuries, Aviva has accrued clinical experiences that have helped us to understand how best to manage musculoskeletal injuries for PMI customers. Over 40,000 individuals have benefitted from our rehabilitation experience and we have developed close relationships with our strategic rehabilitation partners, HCML and Nuffield Health, as well as the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy.
Aviva provides insurance, savings and investment products to 34 million customers worldwide.
We are the UK’s largest insurer with over 14 million customers and one of Europe’s leading providers of life and general insurance. We combine strong life insurance, general insurance and asset management businesses under one powerful brand. We are committed to serving our customers well in order to build a stronger, sustainable business, which makes a positive contribution to society, and for which our people are proud to work.
We are ranked as one of the UK’s top ten most valuable brands and Aviva Plc is in the top 10% of socially responsible companies globally in the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. In 2012 we invested £5.7m into our UK communities. One in three of our employees were involved in community investment activities which included giving nearly 30,000 hours.
Aviva is working in partnership with Railway Children through the Aviva Street to School programme to get children living or working on UK streets back into everyday life, especially education. Find out more at www.aviva.co.uk/street-to-school
The Aviva media centre at www.aviva.com/media includes company information and a news release archive.
For broadcast-standard video, please visit www.aviva.com/media/video
Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc