Article date: 24 September 2013
Aviva plc (“Aviva”) announces today that it has appointed Maurice Tulloch as CEO of Aviva UK & Ireland General Insurance (“UK & Ireland GI”). Maurice is currently CEO of Aviva Canada.
Maurice joined Aviva in 1992 and was appointed CEO of the Canadian business in 2009. Under Maurice’s leadership since 2009, operating profits in the Canadian business have grown by 63% and the combined operating ratio has improved from 100% to 92%.
Robin Spencer, who was CEO of UK & Ireland GI, will be leaving the Group at the end of the month. Robin has made a considerable contribution to the Group over many years in both UK and international roles.
UK & Ireland GI and Canada are Aviva’s largest general insurance businesses. Both are core to Aviva’s future success, being two of Aviva’s key cash flow generators alongside UK Life and Aviva France. As CEO of UK & Ireland GI, Maurice will work closely with David Barral, the CEO of Aviva’s UK Life business, to capitalise on Aviva’s position as the leading insurer in the UK market.
Aviva has strengthened its management team during 2013. New executives have been brought into Aviva and others have been promoted from within the business. Some of the principal appointments include: Christine Deputy (Group HR Director), Khor Hock Seng (CEO Aviva Asia), David McMillan (CEO Aviva Europe), Nick Amin (Transformation Director), and Euan Munro (CEO Aviva Investors). Key senior appointments have also been made in Ireland, Poland and Investor Relations.
Greg Somerville, Executive Vice President, Broker Distribution for Aviva Canada, will lead the Canadian business while the selection of Maurice’s replacement proceeds.
Maurice’s appointment is subject to regulatory approval.
Mark Wilson, Group Chief Executive Officer, commented: “One of my priorities since becoming CEO has been to strengthen Aviva’s management team and ensure we have the right people in the right jobs. Maurice Tulloch is a first class executive who will bring a wealth of knowledge, expertise and energy to his new role in the UK & Ireland general insurance business.
“Maurice has an impeccable track record - Aviva’s Canadian operating profits have grown by 63% under his leadership. He is the best leader to take the UK business to the next stage of its development.
“Robin has done a fine job for the Group, most recently leading the UK & Ireland GI business through the transformation and expense savings programme. I would like to thank Robin for his considerable contribution to Aviva and he leaves the Group with our best wishes for his future endeavours.”
Maurice Tulloch commented: “I am delighted to be leading the UK & Ireland GI business - a business with a rich history and immense potential. I have been working in partnership with the business for some time and have great admiration for the brand and the people. I am looking forward over the coming weeks to meeting with the UK team and our business partners.
“I believe strongly we have a tremendous opportunity to build on our collective successes of the past and to unlock the full potential of our people and the market opportunity."
Nigel Prideaux +44 (0)20 7662 0215
Andrew Reid +44 (0)20 7662 3131
Colin Simpson +44 (0)20 7662 8115
David Elliot +44 (0)20 7662 8048
Notes to editors:
- Maurice joined Aviva in 1992 and is president and chief executive officer of Aviva Canada with responsibility for the strategic direction and operation of Canada's second largest property and casualty insurer, and the second largest general insurance operation in the Group. He joined the Group Executive in July 2012.
- He was previously executive vice-president and chief operating officer, Aviva Ontario and specialty distribution and previously held several senior management positions in the Group, including two years in the UK.
- Greg joined Aviva in 1992 and in 2010 he was appointed Executive Vice President, Broker Distribution for Aviva Canada. Greg is a well-recognised and established Executive in the Canadian P&C market, with strong and long standing relationships with brokers.
- Greg will be well supported by a team recognised as one of the best in the market, with a distinctive capability in underwriting and predictive analytics. This team has delivered year on year improvement in the combined operating ratio and record operating profit over the past four years.
- Aviva provides 34 million customers with insurance, savings and investment products.
- We are the UK’s largest insurer and one of Europe’s leading providers of life and general insurance.
- We combine strong life insurance, general insurance and asset management businesses under one powerful brand.
- We are committed to serving our customers well in order to build a stronger, sustainable business, which makes a positive contribution to society, and for which our people are proud to work.
- The Aviva media centre at www.aviva.com/media includes images, company and product information and a news release archive.
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/media/video/
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc
Aviva UK & Ireland General Insurance
- Aviva is the leading general insurer in the UK, serving eight million customers and one in four UK households. We provide a wide range of general insurance products focused on personal and commercial customers.
- At HY13, the UK & Ireland GI business increased operating profit 10% to £259 million, increased operating capital generation by 9% to £216 million and improved the COR to 96.9% (HY12: 98.0%).
- The business continues to develop innovative insurance solutions such as “Aviva Drive”, making the most of predictive analytics for the benefit of customers and to improve our underwriting.
- Aviva Canada is the second largest Property and Casualty insurer in Canada. We provide a range of personal and commercial lines insurance products to more than three million customers.
- At HY13, operating profit was £147m, operating capital generation was £108m and the combined operating ratio was 92.4%.
- Aviva Canada has very strong distribution relationships and maintained high satisfaction scores among its broker partners in 2012.
- Now in its fifth year, the Aviva Community Fund in Canada has provided more than $3.5 million in funding to 61 charities and community groups across the country.