Article date: 30 September 2013
Aviva’s commitment to corporate responsibility has been recognised by a number of important and influential sustainability indices.
These independent, strict assessments help Aviva to evaluate the overall performance of its corporate responsibility programmes and its impact on society, as well as being a valuable tool for investors who wish to incorporate these factors into their investment decision making. With thousands of companies evaluated and assessed in these indices, it provides a solid benchmark against peers and other organisations.
Highlights from the recent sustainability rankings:
- Aviva is in the top 10 per cent of businesses, (total score of 79 points) in the Dow Jones Sustainability index.
- Aviva is the only UK insurer, and one of four in the world, to be listed in the Global Compact 100 stock index. This index contains companies committed to the sustainability principles of the Global Compact, which include human rights, environmental and anti-corruption issues.
Amanda Mackenzie, executive committee member, responsible for CR at Aviva said; “We take our corporate responsibility very seriously and it’s central to everything we do for our customers, our people and our partners. These results are very encouraging, demonstrating that the way we do business is having a positive impact on the communities we’re part of.”
Aviva’s commitment to positively impacting the communities they are in can be found in the recently published 2012 corporate responsibility report: www.aviva.com/cr12
Notes to editors:
Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes
Dow Jones Sustainability indexes track the financial performance of the leading sustainability-driven companies worldwide. Aviva scored a total of 79 points in the Dow Jones Sustainability index, putting it in the top 10 per cent of businesses overall. Companies are measured on their economic, environmental and social performance, as well as on issues such as corporate governance, risk management, branding, climate change mitigation, supply chain standards and labour practices.
STOXX Global ESG Leaders index
It’s the second year Aviva has made the STOXX Global ESG Leaders index. A relatively new index, the STOXX collates environmental, social and governance information on top European organisations. Aviva is rated as a Global ESG leader and one of the top ten companies in their index for our governance structure.
UN Global Compact
The UN Global Compact is a strategic policy initiative for businesses that are committed to aligning their operations and strategies with ten universally accepted principles in the areas of human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption. By doing so, business, as a primary driver of globalisation, can help ensure that markets, commerce, technology and finance advance in ways that benefit economies and societies everywhere. With over 10,000 corporate participants and other stakeholders from over 130 countries, it is the largest voluntary corporate responsibility initiative in the world.
Carbon Disclosure Project
Aviva has been awarded a score of 79, with a B for integration of climate change issues, for 2013 from the Carbon Disclosure Project. This is an independent not-for-profit organisation which holds the largest database of primary corporate climate change information in the world.
- Aviva provides 34 million customers with insurance, savings and investment products.
- We are the UK’s largest insurer and one of Europe’s leading providers of life and general insurance.
- We combine strong life insurance, general insurance and asset management businesses under one powerful brand.
- We are committed to serving our customers well in order to build a stronger, sustainable business, which makes a positive contribution to society, and for which our people are proud to work.
- The Aviva media centre at www.aviva.com/media includes images, company and product information and a news release archive
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit www.aviva.com/media/b-roll-library/.
Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc