Article date: 27 February 2014
Aviva plc (“Aviva”) announces today that it has appointed Monique Shivanandan as Chief Information Officer. Monique will take up her new role in April 2014 and will join Aviva’s Group Executive Committee, reporting to Mark Wilson, Aviva’s Group Chief Executive Officer.
Monique has over 25 years’ experience in information technology in both financial services and telecommunications. She has held senior positions both in the UK, where she was Managing Director and Chief Information Officer for BT (British Telecom) Retail, and in the US, most recently as Senior Vice President and Chief Technology Officer at Capital One, the US banking group.
Mark Wilson, Group Chief Executive Officer, commented:
“Monique is a first class Chief Information Officer. She has a strong background leading and transforming digital capabilities at major companies. Monique will play an important role in Aviva’s turnaround, ensuring we use new technology to serve our customers and partners simply and effectively.”
Monique Shivanandan commented:
“This is a truly exciting opportunity. Aviva is a great brand whose future success will be underpinned by brilliant use of technology. I am greatly looking forward to joining the Group.”
Nigel Prideaux +44 (0)20 7662 0215
Andrew Reid +44 (0)20 7662 3131
Colin Simpson +44 (0)20 7662 8115
David Elliot +44 (0)20 7662 8048
Notes to editors:
- 2010 to present: Senior Vice President, Capital One, responsible for defining and delivering Capital One’s digital and mobile strategy to drive customer loyalty and reduce operational costs. At Capital One Monique is also responsible for transforming and simplifying its legacy IT systems to reduce overall IT costs.
- 2006-2010, Managing Director and Chief Information Officer, BT Retail, responsible for IT, network and new product introductions for BT’s retail business of 21 million personal customers. At BT, Monique defined and drove the transformation of BT Retail’s technology systems.
- 1985-2006, Monique held numerous senior technology, customer, risk and operational roles in several US corporations including BellSouth and American Management Systems
- Aviva provides 34 million customers with insurance, savings and investment products.
- We are one of the UK’s largest insurers and one of Europe’s leading providers of life and general insurance.
- We combine strong life insurance, general insurance and asset management businesses under one powerful brand.
- We are committed to serving our customers well in order to build a stronger, sustainable business, which makes a positive contribution to society, and for which our people are proud to work.
- The Aviva media centre at www.aviva.com/media includes images, company and product information and a news release archive.
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/media/video/
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc