Article date: 26 September 2014
On the 6th October 2014, Aviva is set to launch its third New Thinking business book, aimed at helping advisers connect with their ‘sandwich generation’ clients.
Written by one of the UK’s leading behavioural scientists Professor Paul Dolan, and best-selling business author Steve Martin, the book presents two behavioural science techniques – MINDSPACE and The SMALLBIG – which are aimed at helping advisers understand their clients, and have more effective conversations with them.
The new book is CII* accredited and is designed to help advisers to;
- Inspire clients to reconsider financial plans and priorities
- Unlock clients’ underlying motivations and open up potentially new approaches to help them achieve their financial goals.
- Help clients consider and visualise future life events – even potentially uncomfortable and unforeseen ones.
- Introduce difficult financial conversations to clients such as long term-care and critical illness.
In 2012, Aviva first introduced the concept of behavioural science to its advisers through its first book, examining how they could use the powerful techniques to have effective conversations with clients about adviser charging. Over 4,500 copies of the paperback were sent out to the adviser community within 6 weeks, the equivalent of a top 10 bestselling business book.
Andy Beswick, Intermediary Director at Aviva, says: “With more than 2 million people in the UK currently providing care for more than one generation, the so called ‘sandwich generation’ is potentially one of advisers’ most significant client segments based on age, wealth and product needs.
“Whilst still trying to work out how to make the most of their own pensions and investments, clients in this group often have the added pressure of having to make important and complex decisions for other close family members.
“Funding children through further education, helping get them onto the property ladder, or helping ageing parents plan for long-term care can be difficult and often emotional, and the financial implications can cause a huge amount of stress.
“We have worked closely with Professor Paul Dolan and Steve Martin, who are both experts in behavioural science, to come up with clear and practical guidance for advisers to help them deal with these issues as simply as possible.
“Understanding how they can help clients achieve their goals is more important than ever.”
As well as the free book, a series of videos, top tips and insights into behavioural science techniques will be available on www.avivasandwichgeneration.co.uk from the 6th October. Aviva is a great supporter of the adviser market and has invested considerably in resources to enable them to give the best advice to those who seek it.
Professor Paul Dolan, London School of Economics, said: “The latest New Thinking guide is an important and practical tool for financial advisers. It takes well-established lessons from behavioural science and applies them to issues facing the sandwich generation. It will make the conversations advisers have with clients easier and more effective. This has been justly recognised in its accreditation by the CII for CPD hours.”
Register online to receive a free copy
Follow @Aviva4advisers on Twitter and Aviva4Advisers on LinkedIn for more information on the sandwich generation and behavioural science, and to find out how you can register for a free copy of the latest New Thinking book.
- Ends -
If you are a journalist and would like further information, please contact: Fiona Whytock: Aviva Press Office: 01904 452659: 07800 692299: Fiona.email@example.com
Notes to editors:
- *CII – Chartered Insurance Institute
- The ‘sandwich generation’ are aged between 45-60 years, and are sandwiched by their complex planning needs. They need to consider and make important decisions about their own situation, and also the financial futures of their parents and adult children. They’re under pressure – financially, time-wise and emotionally.
- Aviva provides 31 million customers with insurance, savings and investment products.
- We are one of the UK’s leading insurers and one of Europe’s leading providers of life and general insurance.
- We combine strong life insurance, general insurance and asset management businesses under one powerful brand.
- We are committed to serving our customers well in order to build a stronger, sustainable business, which makes a positive contribution to society, and for which our people are proud to work.
- The Aviva media centre at www.aviva.com/media/ includes images, company and product information and a news release archive
- For an interactive introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here http://www.aviva.com/library/reports/this-is-aviva/
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/media/video/
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/