Article date: 7 May 2004
Nine volunteers from the Norwich Union E-ifa team transformed asection of the garden at the NCH Rectory project in King’sLynn, Norfolk. The team came from as far a field as Cheltenham,Manchester, Newcastle, Norwich, Sheffield and Worthing.
The volunteers installed a set of wooden steps to give the NCHSure Start Project access to their play shed, they pruned andweeded the area and painted the shed so it looked brand new. Theteam also cleaned the patio, added pots filled with flowers, a newbench and birdbath – and when they cleaned the patio theydiscovered a gravestone dating back to 1724.
Norwich Union launched a five-year £1.4 million partnership withNCH in June last year. The children’s charity aims tosupport, educate and build the confidence of some of the UK’smost vulnerable young people. Offering staff members the chance tomake a difference in their local communities by participating instaff volunteering is a key element of this partnership.
Norwich Union’s head of sponsorship David Czerwinski said:"This project will make a real difference to those using thegarden; it gave the Norwich Union team the opportunity to worktogether and develop new skills. The support of local businesseswas also invaluable in the success of this project."
Press office contacts:
James Evans 01904 452791 Outof hours 07790 487105
Louise Goffee 01904 452617 Out of hours 07810 057362
David Gwyer 01904 452828 Out of hours 07800 699508
Lorna Wiltshire 01904 723251 Out of hours 07788 471849
Rob Pell 01904 452659 Out of hours 07968 934091
NCH press office contact
Grant Imlach 0207 7047013
Notes to Editors
- NCH is one of the largest children's charities in the UK andsupports over 140,000 children, young people and their familiesthrough over 500 projects across the country.
- The three main areas of activity in the programme are:
- the Norwich Union Fund - NCH users can apply for a grant tohelp develop skills and participate in opportunities which willhelp them maximise their potential
- developing materials to help train the project workers andfunding for one-to-ones in which young people aided by NCHproject workers tackle difficult issues and are given support inthe choices they make about their lives
- staff volunteering - types of project might include DIYsupport, help with transport or admin, running workshops andgiving marketing advice.
About Norwich Union
- Norwich Union is the UK’s largest insurer. It is theUK’s largest provider of life, pensions and investmentproducts and one of the leading IFA providers.
- Norwich Union has strategic alliances with building societiesand leading UK brand names including Tesco Personal Finance andThe Royal Bank of Scotland Group.
Local business who supported the team
- Property Development Services – constructed the woodensteps
- Thai Orchid Restaurant – donated the wooden bench
- Premier Bars – provided the soft drinks
- Rembrants Restaurant - donated the large flower pot
- Anderson Landscapes – provided the concrete slabs