Article date: 8 December 2014
Aviva declares its support for the European Commission’s plan to invest €315bn in EU infrastructure and SMEs from 2015 to 2018. Aviva is a major investor in European infrastructure and looks forward to a successful implementation of this package. Aviva calls on the Economic and Financial Council (ECOFIN) and the Heads of Government to support the investment plan in December and find ways to ensure that any obstacles to making this a reality are removed.
Aviva’s support follows its announcement on 4 December that it has made a further allocation of £500 million to invest in UK infrastructure projects, including healthcare and schools.
Aviva already has a strong track record of investing in European infrastructure across a broad range of sectors including transport, utilities, renewable energy, and broadband; and of co-investing with the European Investment Bank (EIB).
The infrastructure team at Aviva Investors manages a number of funds and mandates across a range of infrastructure strategies. These encompass both direct investments into infrastructure projects, as well as infrastructure debt across both the UK and continental Europe.
Euan Munro, CEO of Aviva Investors, said:
“I welcome Jean-Claude Juncker’s €315bn investment programme and look forward to Finance Ministers making progress at tomorrow’s ECOFIN.
“Long term investment is a vital ingredient in making sure that – as an asset management company – we can help our investor and Aviva policyholders and pensioners who we look after to prosper. Critically, as institutional investors in infrastructure, we need stable regulatory regimes as well as a flow of suitable investment opportunities that are socially useful and can provide an appropriate return for our investors. Action is required today to create the right legacy for tomorrow.
“I very much hope that Heads of Government can give their support at the December European Council to this investment plan. It’s crucial that governments, the Commission, the EIB and the private sector work together to fund invaluable projects in climate and energy, transport, the digital economy, education, and our health systems across the EU. Any political, financial and regulatory obstacles must be overcome in the coming months”.
Head of International Markets Communications
+44 (0)20 7662 8710
+44 (0)7800 694 312
Notes to editors:
- Aviva provides 31 million customers with insurance, savings and investment products.
- We are one of the UK’s leading insurers and one of Europe’s leading providers of life and general insurance.
- We combine strong life insurance, general insurance and asset management businesses under one powerful brand.
- We are committed to serving our customers well in order to build a stronger, sustainable business, which makes a positive contribution to society, and for which our people are proud to work.
- The Aviva media centre at www.aviva.com/media/ includes images, company and product information and a news release archive
- For an interactive introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here http://www.aviva.com/library/reports/this-is-aviva/
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/media/video/
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/