Article date: 18 February 2015
Aviva today welcomes the publication of the European Commission’s Green Paper on Capital Markets Union.
In particular, we welcome:
• Making credit information on SMEs more widely available to help open new lines of lending to them.
• Embracing digital advances to make it easier to sell products cross border to consumers.
• The focus on infrastructure investment where the insurance sector – given its very long-term nature – can add real value if the rules and framework can be made to work.
Whilst the Green Paper supports the important link between finance, investment and long-term planning, we believe that more can be done to promote sustainable, long-term capital markets at an EU level. This is why we support the initial ideas set out in the paper around boosting the green bond market; and improving corporate governance and financial literacy. In addition, we have produced a Sustainable Capital Markets Union manifesto which adds further ideas for how Europe can ensure financial markets are focused on the long-term, creating stability and security for consumers across the EU.
Mark Wilson, CEO of Aviva said:
“Not being sustainable could be the biggest market failure of all. So we all have a responsibility to look to the long-term. That’s just good business.
So we welcome the Commission’s Green Paper on Capital Markets Union. It is a landmark moment. Now we must all back this initiative – and make it a reality.”
Heleana Greaves +44 (0)20 7662 0405
Notes to editors:
• Aviva provides 31 million customers with insurance, savings and investment products.
• We are one of the UK’s leading insurers and one of Europe’s leading providers of life and general insurance.
• We combine strong life insurance, general insurance and asset management businesses under one powerful brand.
• We are committed to serving our customers well in order to build a stronger, sustainable business, which makes a positive contribution to society, and for which our people are proud to work.
• The Aviva media centre at www.aviva.com/media/ includes images, company and product information and a news release archive
• For an interactive introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here http://www.aviva.com/library/reports/this-is-aviva/
• For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/media/video/
• Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/