Article date: 13 March 2015
- Aviva is launching women’s networks in its Perth and Glasgow offices
13th March 2015: Today Aviva, the UK’s largest insurer, is expanding its support for diversity and inclusion by launching the Scotland Women’s Network.
The announcement follows International Women’s Day (8th March), which this year has adopted the theme, “Make It Happen.” This theme resonates well with Aviva’s aim of ensuring gender balance at all levels of its organisation. Expansion of the Women’s Network is an essential part of achieving this.
The Scotland Women’s Network will be comprised of a group at each of the company’s offices in Perth and Glasgow, together representing over 1,000 female staff. They join Aviva’s Global Women’s Network in providing a platform for social networking, professional development and volunteering across the company’s participating offices in the UK, Canada and Poland.
For Aviva, gender diversity is not just about individuals achieving their potential. Research has shown that more diverse businesses perform better, are more innovative and are more in tune with their customers’ needs.
In a recent employee survey , over three quarters (76%) of respondents said that people from diverse backgrounds can succeed at Aviva, which is above average for UK businesses. However, Aviva is going further by systematically tackling diversity and inclusion across the entire organisation.
On launching the Network, Christine Deputy, Group Human Resources Director, said:
“Aviva’s offices in Perth and Glasgow form a significant part of our General insurance business and it is absolutely crucial that we ensure our great teams there – and across our operations - benefit from a diverse and inclusive environment.
“International Women’s Day is about celebrating the achievements of women, but it also highlights the issues that many women still face. Our networks help us stay focused on the right issues and opportunities.”
Ian Ferguson, Customer Solutions Director, who is the sponsor of Aviva’s Scotland Women’s Network, said: “This is something we can all get involved in. Women’s networks aren’t just for women – some of the issues women face in the workplace won’t be tackled if there isn’t diversity of thought around the table. We already have lots of plans to generate important discussions and debates as well as to provide practical support to women at Aviva.”
Heleana Greeves +44 (0)20 7662 0405
Notes to editors:
- A photograph of Christine Deputy is available on aviva.com at http://www.aviva.com/media/images-and-logos/nkw/0/recent/12/3/
- Aviva provides 29 million customers with insurance, savings and investment products.
- We are one of the UK’s leading insurers and one of Europe’s leading providers of life and general insurance.
- We combine strong life insurance, general insurance and asset management businesses under one powerful brand.
- We are committed to serving our customers well in order to build a stronger, sustainable business, which makes a positive contribution to society, and for which our people are proud to work.
- The Aviva media centre at www.aviva.com/media/ includes images, company and product information and a news release archive
- For an introduction to Aviva please click here to see our corporate overview: http://www.aviva.com/media/upload/aviva-corporate-overview-2015-1.pdf/
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/media/video/
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/