Article date: 16 October 2004
On Camp with Kelly in association with NorwichUnion -
Crystal Palace - Double Olympic GoldMedallist Kelly Holmes today introduced the eight Under 20 girlschosen to be part of ‘On Camp with Kelly’ in SouthAfrica. They were also given their medical and physiotherapyassessments.
Created by Kelly herself, the camp is completelyfunded by Norwich Union, the number one sponsor of UK Athletics,and supported by Reebok, and is aimed at identifying and nurturingthe next generation of British female middle distance runners.
The girls will spend a month in South Africawith Kelly in an altitude training camp and given an insight intothe life of an elite international full time athlete. The girlswill also meet other international athletes who will host variouseducational and motivational classes.
The girls who will be training in Potchefstroom,South West of Johannesburg between Monday 25 October and Friday 19November, were chosen by Kelly after a pre-selection day inBirmingham in July:
- Charlotte Best
- 19, from Crawley AC, Sussex & Loughborough University.Finalist on BBC’s Born to Win event in 2003
- PB (800m) – 2:03.9
- Danielle Christmas
- 16, from Crawley AC. 2004 English Schools Champion(1500m)
- Joanne Finch
- 16, from Glasgow. 2004 Scottish Schools Champion (800m &1500m)
- Laura Finucane
- 18, from Pendle AC and Loughborough University. 2004 NorwichUnion World Junior Trials & AAAs 800m champion, 2002 EnglishSchools Champion (800m)
- PB (800m) – 2:03.73; (400m) – 53.23
- Jo Harper
- 17, from Cannock & Staffs AC. 4th in EnglishSchools (3000m and cross country)
- PB (3000m) – 9:48
- Non Stanford
- 15, from Swansea Harriers. 2004 Adidas London Mini-Marathon(Under 19) champion, 2004 Four Nations Schools Cross CountryInternational champion
- 1st Welsh athlete to win an age group title at UKlevel (2004 Reebok inter-counties Cross Country – under15)
- PB (3000m) – 9:22.84
- Rachael Thompson
- 18, from Liverpool Harriers. 2004 Norwich Union World AAAUnder 20 indoor champion (800m), finalist in the 2003 EuropeanJunior Championships (800m)
- PB (800m) – 2:05.29
- Danielle Walker
- 16, from Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham. 2nd in the2004 English Schools and English National Championships (1500m)
- PB (1500m) – 4:25.37
Commenting on the camp, Holmes said: "I haveachieved my dreams and I want to give the next generation theopportunity to learn from my experiences – good and bad. TheCamp will be hard work but it will give them a taste of what a fulltime athlete must commit to in order to reach the top. I’mvery much looking forward to it and following the future of thesegirls."
David Czerwinski, head of sponsorship forNorwich Union, said: "Our support for On Camp with Kelly fullycomplements our considerable commitment to athletics at all levels.We have to look to the current crop of athletic stars such as Kellyto inspire the next generation of champions."
(for further information, full profiles and photos):
Suzie Dias – 020 78032416 (email@example.com)
Jonathan Cohen – 020 7803 2352