Article date: 3 December 2004
Norwich Union has appointed Andy Keane as motorunderwriting manager for its commercial motor and motor fleetbusiness.
Mr Keane has been promoted to the position fromhis previous role as senior motor underwriter with the company. Hebrings more than 18 years underwriting and marketing experience tothe post.
He will be responsible for helping to shape thestrategic direction of Norwich Union’s commercial motoraccount and for maintaining fleet underwriting standards anddiscipline across the UK. He commented: "While we’ve beenencouraged by the generally sensible approach shown by the marketto date, the next three to six months will be a critical period forthe fleet sector and the industry at large. My primary focus willbe to maintain pricing integrity, while continuing to improve riskselection. By writing quality business for added value not volume,we can help minimise the effects of the underwriting cycle andincrease premium stability."
Mr Keane will also be supporting new riskmanagement initiatives, such as the recent Norwich Union‘Driving at Work’ CD-ROM toolkit, designed to helpfleet customers manage occupational road risk.
"Well over 90% of all fleets are managed bypeople with more than one job function and little time to devote tothe task," he added. "The insurance industry has an important roleto play in helping these part-time fleet managers to reduceaccidents by supplying straightforward, back-to-basics riskmanagement advice, in an accessible format. "
Telematics will be another core focus, followingNorwich Union’s recent launch of the UK’s first fleetinsurance product based on telematics technology.
"The continuous development of telematics overthe next few years makes motor insurance a very interesting sectorto be involved in. Following our successful pilot, we are aiming toincrease our understanding to offer our customers even more bespokerisk management advice in the future."
With an intermediary business network of 54offices, Norwich Union is the UK’s largest fleet insurer andhas the largest motor risk assessment capability in themarket.
For further information, please contact:
Debbie Wells at Staniforth on 0161 274 0100 or David Ross atNorwich Union on 08703 66 68 65/07786 526350.
Notes to editors
- Norwich Union is the UK's largest insurer with a market shareof around 14 per cent
- With a focus on insurance for individuals and smallbusinesses, Norwich Union insures:
- one in five households
- one in seven motor vehicles
- more than 800,000 businesses
- Norwich Union products are available through a variety ofdistribution channels including brokers, corporate partners suchas banks and building societies and Norwich Union Direct.
- Norwich Union’s news releases and a selection of imagesare available on the Aviva internet press centre at www.aviva.com/media.
- An ISDN facility is available for studio quality broadcast.Call the press office on 08703 66 68 68
- For all life & pensions media enquiries 08703 66 6873
- For all other media enquiries 08703 66 68 68
- Members of the General Insurance Standards Council
- Members of the Aviva group