Article date: 4 May 2005
Simon Machell, formerly customer servicesdirector for Norwich Union Insurance (NUI), is the new managingdirector of RAC.
His appointment follows regulatory approval forthe acquisition of RAC by Aviva and news that Aviva’s offerfor RAC has gone unconditional. The RAC brand will be retained,with its own executive team headed up by Simon.
"I’m delighted to have the opportunity tolead RAC during an exciting new phase in the company’sdevelopment," said Simon, 41, who joined Norwich Union 11 years agoand became an executive director in 1998.
"There is huge potential for building onRAC’s success and reputation, and my first challenge is tolook at how we do that and develop a strategy for maximising thatpotential for customers."
Simon takes over from current RAC chiefexecutive Andy Harrison, who will stay on for a further six monthsin an advisory capacity.
"Simon’s background in customer servicewill help to reinforce all that has made RAC a great company," saidAndy Harrison.
Simon will report to Aviva group executivedirector Patrick Snowball, who is also chief executive of NorwichUnion Insurance. Reporting lines in RAC to Simon remainunchanged.
Simon Machell is an economicsgraduate. He became a chartered accountant and joined Norwich Unionin 1994, undertaking a number of senior finance positions beforetaking over the running of claims in 1998.
He is chairman of the Motor Insurers’Bureau, and of the liaison group between the Insurance Ombudsmanand the industry. He also chairs the board of Solus, NorwichUnion’s joint venture motor body repairers.
His role as customer service director forNorwich Union Insurance carried responsibility for all aspects ofclaims management and the underwriting, servicing, and creditcontrol for personal lines, small business insurance and corporatepartners.
He is married and lives in Norfolk, and lists hobbies includewalking, travelling, classic cars and running.
Press office contact:
Louise Zucchi 01603684506/07800 699664
Notes to editors
- A photograph of Simon Machell is available from the Avivamedia centre at http://www.aviva.com/index.asp?PageID=60&ImageID=463
- Norwich Union is the UK's largest insurer with a market shareof around 13 per cent
- With a focus on insurance for individuals and smallbusinesses, Norwich Union insures:
- one in five households
- one in seven motor vehicles
- more than 800,000 businesses
- Norwich Union products are available through a variety ofdistribution channels including brokers, corporate partners suchas banks and building societies and Norwich Union Direct.