Article date: 8 August 2005
Norwich Union Direct celebrates its 10thbirthday on 8 August. Norwich Union was one of the first companiesto venture into the relatively new world of direct insurance in1995 and its success has contributed to Norwich Union becoming thelargest insurer in the UK.
Norwich Union Direct (NUD) first began inSheffield, selling motor and home insurance with just 300 staff– 10 years on this number has risen to over 4000 staffworking across eight customer centres and NUD now also offerstravel, breakdown cover, life cover, home appliance, centralheating, home emergency, pet and small business insurance.
Although the main birthday celebrations willtake place in Sheffield, gifts are being sent out to all NorwichUnion Direct staff in other locations around the UK and India.
Mark Hodges, managing director, Norwich UnionGeneral Insurance said: "We are delighted with the success ofNorwich Union Direct and wanted to thank our staff for theirvaluable contribution in helping us become a leading force indirect insurance.
"The last 10 years have seen a dramatic changein the way customers buy insurance. In particular the rise inpopularity of the internet has contributed significantly to thegrowth of Norwich Union Direct."
Sally Leeman, Norwich Union press office on 01603 684225/07800699670
About Norwich Union Insurance
- Norwich Union is the UK's largest insurer with a market shareof around 13 per cent
- With a focus on insurance for individuals and smallbusinesses, Norwich Union insures:
- One in five households
- One in seven motor vehicles
- More than 800,000 businesses
- Norwich Union products are available through a variety ofdistribution channels including brokers, corporate partners suchas banks and building societies and Norwich Union Direct.
- Aviva, Norwich Union’s parent company, recently announcedits acquisition of the RAC. The acquisition brings together theRAC's powerful brand and customer base with the expertise andleading position in motor insurance of Norwich Union Insurance.
- Norwich Union's news releases and a selection of images areavailable on the Aviva internet press centre atwww.aviva.com/media.
- An ISDN facility is available for studio quality broadcast.Call the press office on 01603 682264