Article date: 10 January 2006
A number of new senior management appointments are announcedtoday by Norwich Union General Insurance (NUGI).
The changes affect key roles across the marketing, intermediarybusiness (IB), partnerships and finance areas of the business.
They are internal appointments involving existing seniormanagers moving into new posts as a result of both individualcareer moves and the need to fill posts subsequently leftvacant.
The key changes, effective immediately, are:
- George Berrie, previously IB business director, moves backinto the Perth-based role of director of regional business(north). His home has remained in Perth since he took on hiscurrent role and he has decided to return to a Scotland-based jobfor personal reasons.
- Berrie is replaced as IB director by John Kitson, formerlyconsumer director
- David McMillan, who was partnerships director, steps intoKitson’s role
- McMillan’s previous post is filled by AngelaSeymour-Jackson, formerly director of banks
- In the NUGI finance team, finance director Fernley Dyson movesto become financial management director
- Dyson is replaced as NUGI finance director by Scott Egan, whobecame director of RAC insurance operations following theacquisition
- David Bruce, formerly director of national brokers andnational accounts, becomes the new director of RAC insuranceoperations.
- Bruce’s previous role is taken by Phil Scarrett, who wasdirector of regional business (north).
Mark Hodges, NUGI managing director, said: “All businessesgo through periods of management change as people move to progresstheir careers and take up new challenges.
“We are very fortunate to have an excellent team ofexperienced senior managers with the skills and flexibility to fillthese key posts.”
Today’s news from NUGI follows last week’sannouncement of changes to Aviva’s executive directors’responsibilities.
These included Patrick Snowball, currently group executivedirector for general insurance, becoming group executive directorfor Aviva UK with responsibility for the group’s UKbusinesses, Norwich Union Life, Norwich Union Insurance, and RAC -with the exception of Morley Fund Management. He also becomesexecutive chairman of Norwich Union Life.
In an unrelated move, the parts ofthe business with responsibility for Norwich Union’s supportservices – including IT, properties and facilities management– are being restructured.
This re-alignment of those services which are shared bydifferent parts of Norwich Union is designed to make them moreefficient in meeting the needs of a large and complex business, andencourage sharing of best-practice and innovation.
The detail of these changes will be finalised over the next fewweeks. Staff will be given a timetable of when they will know whatthis means for them by the end of January.
For many people there will be no change to their roles. Howeverthere may be some redundancies, particularly where there are areasof duplication. It is too early to say how many and we hope thatmuch of any reduction will be achieved through natural turnover andby not filling vacancies. As always, we will seek to avoidcompulsory redundancies where possible.
There are no planned location closures as part of thisannouncement.
Louise Zucchi 01603684506/07800 699664
Notes to editors
Photos of all Norwich Union staffmembers listed in this release are available; please contact theNorwich Union press office.
Norwich Union's news releases and a selection of images areavailable on the Aviva internet press centre at www.aviva.com/media
About Norwich Union Insurance
- Norwich Union is the UK's largest insurer with a market shareof around 14 per cent
- With a focus on insurance for individuals and smallbusinesses, Norwich Union insures:
- One in five households
- One in seven motor vehicles
- Around 800,000 businesses
- Norwich Union products are available through a variety ofdistribution channels including brokers, corporate partners suchas banks and building societies and Norwich Union Direct.
- Aviva, Norwich Union’s parent company, recentlyannounced its acquisition of the RAC. The acquisition bringstogether the RAC's powerful brand and customer base with theexpertise and leading position in motor insurance of Norwich UnionInsurance.
- Norwich Union's news releases and a selection of images areavailable on the Aviva internet press centre at www.aviva.com/media.
- An ISDN facility is available for studio quality broadcast.Call the press office on 01603 682264