Article date: 6 February 2006
Norwich Union reveals thestrangest causes of motor insurance claims
Freak incidents involving animals top the list when itcomes to bizarre motor claims, according to Norwich Union. Fromfrozen squirrels crashing through windscreens to cows jumping onquad bikes and zebras colliding into cars in safari parks, ourfurry friends can lead to a drive on the wild side.
Food is the second biggest cause of bizarre claims, and in thepast year Norwich Union has recorded incidents involving potatoeslodged behind brake pedals and frozen kebabs flying out of carsand damaging nearby vehicles.
This highlights the diversity of claims covered by motor insuranceand Norwich Union has compiled a list of the 10 weirdest claims itreceived in 2005:
- “A frozen squirrel fell out of a tree and crashed throughthe windscreen on to the passenger seat”
- “The car was parked when a reindeer fell on the bonnet ofmy car”
- “As I was driving round a bend, when one of the doorsopened and a frozen kebab flew out, hitting and damaging apassing car”
- “A herd of cows licked my car and caused damage to thepaintwork”
- “A zebra collided with my car when I was at a safaripark”
- “While I was waiting at traffic lights, a wasp went downmy trouser leg which made me hit the accelerator and prang thecar in front”
- “I couldn’t brake because a potato was loggedbehind the brake”
- “My parked car was hit by a bull which had escaped froman agricultural show”
- “A cow jumped on my quad bike”
- “As I came over a hill, I hit a cow in the middle of theroad, which then hit the bonnet and shattered the windscreenwith its rear end.” (The cow survived).
Sally Leeman of Norwich Union said: "Who would have thought thatfrozen squirrels and potatoes could be such hazards! We see a lotof strange claims but we were surprised at how many involvedanimals and food, of all things. We can hardly tell drivers tobeware of flying kebabs and frozen squirrels when they’re onthe roads, but this shows how important it is to be aware ofwhat’s going on around you at all times."
For further information, please contact:
Emilie Lien at Lexis on 020 7908 6573/07776 257170
Sally Leeman at Norwich Union on 01603 684225/07800 699670
Notes to editors:
About Norwich Union Insurance
- Norwich Union is the UK's largest insurer with a market shareof around 14%
- With a focus on insurance for individuals and smallbusinesses, Norwich Union insures:
- One in five households
- One in seven motor vehicles
- Around 800,000 businesses
- Norwich Union products are available through a variety ofdistribution channels including brokers, corporate partners suchas banks and building societies and Norwich Union Direct.
- Aviva, Norwich Union’s parent company, announced itsacquisition of the RAC in 2005. The acquisition brings togetherthe RAC's powerful brand and customer base with the expertise ofNorwich Union Insurance – a market leader in motorinsurance.
- Norwich Union's news releases and a selection of images areavailable on the Aviva internet press centre at www.aviva.com/media.
Norwich Union Insurance Limited Registered in England No 99122.Registered office: 8 Surrey Street, Norwich, NR1 3NG. Authorisedand regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Member of theAviva group.