Article date: 13 March 2006
Norwich Union is helping brokers make the mostof the freight market with two new comprehensive guides and a newhauliers’ liability policy.
Entitled “Lightening the Burden”, the 46-page brokerguide contains detailed information about the haulage industry thatan intermediary needs to know.
This includes sections on spotting potential customers; detailsabout freight liability insurance; conditions of carriage andup-to-date information on relevant legislation.
In addition, the company has issued a freight operators’ RiskManagement Guide, addressing risks facing freight operators andoffering techniques and guidance to minimise losses both prior todispatch, while in transit and during delivery.
Aimed equally at freight operators and their brokers, this guidecovers issues from fire and theft, overnight HGV parking, wetdamage risk and infestation to shortage and non-delivery.
Also, Norwich Union has re-launched its hauliers’ liabilitypolicy, which includes a free extension covering damage to trailercurtains: instead of having to claim for damaged curtain sidingsseparately on their fleet policy following a theft of goods,hauliers can claim under their Norwich Union liability cover,therefore avoiding a second excess payment.
David Shaw, Norwich Union development and claims manager, says:“Hauliers’ liability is a specialist cover and manybrokers are not fully aware of its intricacies.
“By producing a broker-focused guide and a general riskmanagement publication, we are trying to help intermediariesdemonstrate a greater level of expertise in the sector. This shouldadd value to their clients, comply with the requirements of theFinancial Services Authority and potentially help them cross sellhauliers’ liability cover when they are selling fleetpolicies.”
Norwich Union writes its freight business through five dedicatedcentres in London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Glasgow.Administration has also been reduced with the introduction ofelectronic declaration forms, which allow cover to be issued basedon information supplied at quote stage, therefore removing the needfor proposal forms.
For further information, please contact:
Jon Clements at Staniforth on 0161 274 0100 / 07989414486
Sally Leeman at Norwich Union on 01603 684225 / 07800 699670.
Notes to editors:
About Norwich Union Insurance
- Norwich Union is the UK's largest insurer with a market shareof around 14 per cent
- With a focus on insurance for individuals and smallbusinesses, Norwich Union insures:
- One-in-five households
- One-in-seven motor vehicles
- Around 800,000 businesses
- Norwich Union products are available through a variety ofdistribution channels including brokers, corporate partners suchas banks and building societies and Norwich Union Direct
- Aviva, Norwich Union’s parent company, announced itsacquisition of the RAC in 2005. The acquisition brings togetherthe RAC's powerful brand and customer base with the expertise andleading position in motor insurance of Norwich UnionInsurance
- Norwich Union's news releases and a selection of images areavailable on the Aviva internet press centre atwww.aviva.com/media.