Article date: 5 April 2006
Biggest sports sponsorship deal in UK history outsidefootball
Norwich Union and UK Athletics announced today that theUK’s largest insurer is to extend its commitment to athleticsuntil the end of 2012 in what is the largest UK sports sponsorshipdeal outside football, worth nearly £50 million to the sport overthe next six years.
The new agreement commences on 1 January 2007 and places moreemphasis on the preparation of future champions. Athletics is thekey Olympic sport and with London set to host the Olympic Games in2012, all eyes will be on athletics and aspiring athletes lookingto represent their country on home soil.
Patrick Snowball, executive chairman of Norwich Union, said:“We are very proud to announce the extension of our highlysuccessful sponsorship of athletics and we are extremely proud tobe able to play a central role in the preparation of Britishathletes as they aim for success in the 2012 Olympics. We alreadyengage over a million children each year through our grassrootsathletics schemes, and have helped many of our elite athletesprepare for competition. Our extended commitment can only helpprepare more.”
David Moorcroft, chief executive of UK Athletics, said: “Wehave been thrilled with the support Norwich Union has given thesport of athletics since 1999 and are delighted they are tocontinue the partnership. The current crop of very talented juniorsis testament to the long term foundations provided at thegrassroots level and due to Norwich Union’s long termcommitment announced today, the sport will be able to build on thisplatform by boosting participation, increasing the talent pool andpreparing future champions to reach our medal targets in 2008 and2012.”
Richard Caborn, minister for sport, said: “I welcome this newinvestment by Norwich Union. The legacy of winning the OlympicGames last July is that serious investment is being channelled intosport, both from government and others. It shows the increasingrecognition of what sport at every level can achieve."
Norwich Union has been supporting athletics since 1999 and the nextphase of the sponsorship will look to build on this to make thebrand intrinsically linked with athletes’ preparations for2012. Through-the-line support of the sponsorship – with amixture of events, advertising, broadcast initiatives, promotionsand PR – together with extensive use of athletes will ensurethat Norwich Union maximises the impact of this importantsponsorship.
Tanya Veingard – 020 76623616 / 07800 695 269
Lorna Wiltshire – 020 7662 1013 / 07800 695 150
UK Athletics – Helen Wyeth 0870 998 6700
Notes to editors:
About Norwich Union
- Norwich Union is the UK's largest insurer. With a focus oninsurance for individuals and small businesses, Norwich Unioninsures one in five households, one in seven motor vehicles andaround 800,000 businesses. Norwich Union insurance products areavailable through a variety of distribution channels includingbrokers, corporate partners such as banks and building societiesand Norwich Union Direct.
- Norwich Union is also a leading provider of life, pensions andinvestment products and one of the largest financial adviser (FA)providers. FAs provide over 70% of the company's long-term savingsbusiness in the UK.
- Norwich Union is part of Aviva, the world’ssixth-largest insurance group.
- The Aviva media centre at www.aviva.com/media includesimages, company and product information and a news releasearchive.
- For more information on these initiatives and how to getinvolved, visit www.ukathletics.net or call UKAthletics on 0870 998 6800.
- Norwich Union is also committed to ensuring those childrenwith disabilities are able to enjoy a fun, active lifestyle.Through its partnership with WheelPower, Norwich Union is fundinga series of events throughout the UK to engage children inwheelchair sport. To find out more visit www.wheelpower.org.uk.