Article date: 9 May 2006
Norwich Union Healthcare announced details today of how itsdedicated and comprehensive cancer claims service has got evenbigger and better and will be available to all of itscustomers.
The specialist oncology unit is designed to treat customerssensitively using dedicated and specially trained staff who canprovide access to a range of information services, as well asworking closely with doctors and hospitals.
Customers using the service will be allocated a personal casehandler who will support them throughout their claim. This allowsthe team to develop a deep understanding of customers and theirneeds as well as developing a special relationship with them at avery difficult time.
The team also works in partnership with Macmillan Cancer Supportand advises customers of the wide range of services the charityprovides to people affected by cancer.
Norwich Union Healthcare has also donated £30,000 to MacmillanCancer Support. This donation will help fund a Macmillan nurse andconsultant for teenagers and young adults based at the SouthamptonGeneral Hospital. Norwich Union Healthcare previously helped tofund the building of a Macmillan Support and Information Centre atthe hospital, which continues to make a real difference to thelives of people affected by cancer.
The pilot team of eight has already produced superb results interms of customer feedback and experience. Independent research hasconfirmed the benefits of this service and Norwich Union Healthcarehas taken the step to expand the team to 22 which will include arange of highly experienced PMI claims professionals who haveexperience in oncology and general nursing.
Steve Moody, oncology claims manager, said: “We recognise theserious impact that a cancer diagnosis can have on someone’slife. For that reason, we created a dedicated Oncology Unit toprovide support for our customers during the claims process. We aredelighted that this team has now grown substantially and that weare able to offer this service to all our customers. We have addedto the existing group of nurses and advisers to create a team witha vast wealth of knowledge and experience in managing cancercases.”
Peter Cardy, chief executive Macmillan CancerSupport
, said: “Macmillan Cancer Supportimproves the lives of people affected by cancer. We are delightedthat Norwich Union Healthcare customers are being encouraged toaccess the practical, medical, emotional and financial support weprovide.”
Norwich Union Press OfficeContact:
Telephone: 01904 452617 or 07800 695 275
Macmillan Cancer Support Contact:
Susie Richardson– Macmillan Cancer Support Press Office
Telephone: 020 7840 7809 (out of hours 07801 307068)
Notes to editors:
Case studies available on request.
About Norwich Union Healthcare
- Norwich Union Healthcare was founded in 1990 as the healthcarearm of Norwich Union and now provides a range of income protectionand private health insurance products that cover over 870,000lives. It is one of the largest providers of income protection andprivate health insurance in the UK.
- Norwich Union acquired Occupational Health provider, PrivateHealth Care, in October 2005. We now offer an extensive range ofoccupational health services to corporate clients. These servicesare delivered by Norwich Union Occupational Health Ltd.
- Norwich Union Healthcare is authorised and regulated by theFinancial Services Authority and is a member of the Association ofBritish Insurers and the Financial Ombudsman Service.
- Norwich Union’s news releases and a selection of imagesare available from Aviva’s internet press centre atwww.aviva.com/media.
About Macmillan Cancer Support
- Macmillan Cancer Support improves the lives of people affectedby cancer, providing practical, medical, emotional and financialsupport. Working alongside people affected by cancer, Macmillanworks to improve cancer care. One in three of us will get cancer.1.2 million of us are living with it. If you are affected bycancer Macmillan can help.
- For more information about Macmillan Cancer Support, visitwww.macmillan.org.uk or freephone 0800 500 800 for aninformation pack.