Article date: 19 May 2006
Top class environmental performance has helped RAC AutoWindscreens scoop a special environment award.
The company, which operates a “repair beforereplace” policy, took home the Environment Award at therecent Commercial Fleet World Awards.
RAC Auto Windscreens has focused on encouraging its customers toseek windscreen repairs before replacement - a more cost effectiveand environmentally friendly approach to broken glass on vehicles– and almost a fifth of its windscreen jobs in 2005 wererepairs.
Mark Hughes, RAC operations director, says: “While thewaste from 40 windscreen replacements would fill a skip, the samenumber of repairs would fill no more than the palm of yourhand.
“All our technicians know to offer motorists a windscreenrepair rather than replacement, wherever possible, and we have beenworking hard to promote the cost, time and ‘green’benefits of choosing that option. This has increased take-up ofrepair by three per cent.
“Where windscreens have to be replaced, we recycle 95% ofthe glass – that’s half a million windscreens peryear.”
RAC Auto Windscreens’ repair before replace policy islisted on nearly half a million fleet cards handed out to driversannually. In addition, its free fleet health checks offer a regulartechnician’s inspection to identify windscreen damage.
RAC Press office contact:
Adam Cracknell 01603 684916 / 07800 699 517 or Jon Clements atStaniforth 0161 919 8022/07989414486
Notes to editors
About RAC AutoWindscreens
- RAC Auto Windscreens provides a wholly owned and operatedcomplete automotive glazing repair and replacement service(windscreens, rear windows and side windows) through the largestfitting centre network in the UK.
- It is the only replacement windscreen specialist with its ownmanufacturing operation, producing 250,000 windscreens a year in adedicated factory in Chesterfield.
- Backed by a fleet of 1000 fully equipped mobile fitting units,RAC Auto Windscreens provides a true 24/7 national service formore than 750,000 private and corporate customers every year. Formore information on RAC Auto Windscreens visit www.rac.co.uk/windscreens
- With around seven million members, RAC is one of the UK's mostprogressive motoring organizations, providing services for bothprivate and business motorists. Whether it's roadside assistance,windscreen repair and replacement, learning to drive, vehicleinspections and checks, legal and financial services orup-to-the-minute traffic and travel information - RAC is able tomeet motorists’ needs. RAC incorporates BSM, RAC AutoWindscreens, RAC Direct Insurance and HPI.
- Aviva bought RAC last year. The acquisition brings togetherRAC's powerful brand and customer base with the expertise andleading position in motor insurance of Norwich Union Insurance(part of Aviva). Norwich Union is the UK's largest insurer,insuring one in seven motor vehicles and with a market share ofaround 14 per cent.