Article date: 18 July 2007
Morley, one of Europe's largest active fund managers, has been ranked the number one fund manager for its understanding of Socially Responsible Investing (SRI) and Extra-Financial Issues for the third year running in the latest Thomson Extel SRI and Extra-Financial Survey released this month.
Thomson, in association with UKSIF (the UK Social Investment Forum), asked buyside and sellside practitioners for their views on SRI trends and developments and on the quality of brokerage services provided to them.
The survey, now in its fifth year, signals that investors' interest in environmental and sustainability is on the rise. Increasingly fund managers are showing their appetite for insights and analysis that give a financial context to SRI issues that will help to create value and raise awareness.
Peter Michaelis, head of SRI at Morley, said: "We are delighted to see the Morley team perform so strongly in such a rapidly developing and global playing field. Having won this award four out of five times is testament to our investment process which makes a direct link between sustainable development and long-term returns. It is also pleasing that it coincides with a period of such strong performance of Norwich Union's Sustainable Future funds which are managed by Morley."
The survey also highlighted that 50% of buy-side respondents are now attributing 2% or more of total commission spend to SRI, compared with less than 10% attributing the same amount only two years ago.
Penny Shepherd MBE, chief executive, UKSIF said: "This third successive win shows that the Morley team continues to be held in high regard in this competitive and growing market."
The survey took place between March and June this year with responses up from last year covering a total of 140 buyside firms and 18 sellside firms throughout the United Kingdom and Europe.
Firms within the Morley group of companies manage £169 billion with £1.3 billion in SRI assets (as at 30 April, 2007).
For more information contact:
Beth Saint - Corporate Communications
Telephone: 020 7809 8125
Notes to editors:
Morley is the UK-based asset management business of Aviva plc. Firms within the Morley group of companies manage £169bn (€247bn) from offices around the world as at 30 April 2007.
Morley manages both institutional and retail funds. It also acts as investment manager for a range of retail investment funds, marketed in the UK under the Norwich Union brand and in Europe under the Morley name.
The SRI team manages in excess of £1.3bn of UK and European assets.
- Morley ranks number one fund manager in the Thomson Extel SRI Survey, 2007
- Property Manager of the Year, UK Pensions Awards 2007
- Morley's G7 Fund awarded Fixed Income Hedge Fund of the Year, Eurohedge Awards 2007
- Equity End User of the Year - Derivatives Week DEAL Awards 2006
- Property Fund Manager of the Year, Pensions Management Awards 2006
- Best Commitment to Raising Standards of Trustee Education, Engaged Investor Awards 2006
- Property Fund Manager of the Year, Property Week Awards 2006
- SRI Provider of the Year, Global Pensions 2006
- Central European Property Awards 2005 - Outstanding Company of the Year & Investor of the Year
- UK Pensions Awards 2005 - Property Manager of the Year
- Property Week Awards 2004 - Best Property Fund Manager
Further information about Morley can be found at http://www.morleyfm.com/