Article date: 26 July 2007
HPI is offering dealers a unique solution to providing used car buyers with environmental information - through the introduction of CO2 eco-sheets.
Recognising the importance of climate change and the impact it's having on customers' purchasing decisions in the used car market, HPI has devised a new system that will allow dealers to gain access to a vehicle's environmental data.
HPI's eco-sheets, which are completely free, will highlight the level of CO2 emissions a vehicle creates through the industry standard CO2 emissions rating chart - similar to those displayed on new vehicles.
In a seven band A-G grading*, with category A being the lowest for emitting high levels of CO2 and G being the highest, the sheets allow dealers to provide vital environmental data to customers, when determining a suitable vehicle for their needs.
The sheets also offer practical advice to customers on factors such as the impact driving behaviour has on fuel economy.
Daniel Burgess, automotive director of HPI, said: "According to RAC's 2007 Report On Motoring, one in three motorists consider CO2 emissions when buying a car. Our aim is to provide dealers with an additional sales tool and ultimately encourage more motorists to think about purchasing a used vehicle with lower emissions of CO2 in order to reduce their Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) costs.
"HPI aims to support dealers in demonstrating a greener strategy for their dealership. The new CO2 sheets are the first of its kind in the used car market and offer clear, concise information that dealers can place inside vehicles or give to customers directly."
The new service has been integrated into the existing HPI check process and dealers can request the environmental information sheet at the time of any HPI query.
*The CO2 bandings provided are intended as a guide to the emissions of the vehicle and equate to the current Vehicle Excise Duty bandings. Older vehicles may use alternate VED bandings based on emissions or engine size. Visit www.direct.gov.uk/en/motoring for the VED banding relating to vehicles manufactured before 2001.
For press enquiries please contact:
RAC/HPI Press office contact: Vicki Burn on 01603 684 224/07800 692 909 or Sam Bramwell at Staniforth on 0161 919 8024/077381 96667.
Notes to editors
- Originally established in 1938, HPI Limited is a primary source of vehicle information for the UK motor industry and motoring consumer, which since August 2004 has been owned by Norwich Union. HPI encompasses both the HPI database of all UK road registered vehicle descriptions and histories, and the National Mileage Register which holds in excess of 85 million mileage readings.
- Together, HPI and NMR represent the UK's largest vehicle information source, combining and interpreting data from government agencies, industry bodies, private organisations, the police and the general public. Registering with HPI helps companies to protect their financial interests in motor vehicles and a wide range of other mobile assets. HPI Checks give purchasers instant confirmation of whether vehicles are correctly described, known to be subject to outstanding finance or serious accident damage, or recorded as stolen or "clocked".
'HPI' and the HPI logo are registered trademarks of HPI Limited.
(1) All prices include VAT and are correct as of 1st January 2006
(2) Mileage Data is not covered by The HPI Guarantee
(3) The HPI Guarantee is subject to terms and conditions
- With around seven million members, RAC is one of the UK's most progressive motoring organizations, providing services for both private and business motorists. Whether it's roadside assistance, windscreen repair and replacement, learning to drive, vehicle inspections and checks, legal and financial services or up-to-the-minute traffic and travel information - RAC is able to meet motorists' needs. RAC incorporates BSM, RAC Auto Windscreens, RAC Direct Insurance and HPI.
- Aviva bought RAC in May 2005. The acquisition brings together RAC's powerful brand and customer base with the expertise and leading position in motor insurance of Norwich Union Insurance (part of Aviva). Norwich Union is the UK's largest insurer, insuring one in seven motor vehicles and with a market share of around 15 %.