Article date: 30 July 2008
Ever dreamt of riding a motorcycle? Well now you can with BSM who have partnered with Silverstone to bring motorcycling to the home of British motorsport. On 3 August, BSM Rider Training at Silverstone will launch, offering the opportunity for old-school bikers and motorcycling novices alike to try their hand at mastering some of the nation's best-loved bikes in surroundings steeped in motorsport heritage.
BSM will offer three packages at the legendary Silverstone circuit that will cater for all motorcyclists' needs. Ranging from a six-day course that will see novice riders learn to ride and work through to take their test on the sixth day; to a two-day course for experienced motorcyclists to enhance their riding skills; and a one-day motorcycle experience that offers complete beginners the opportunity to ride for the very first time.
The unique partnership provides access to some of the world's best bikes, including Harley-Davidson, Ducati, Kawasaki and Suzuki, and the brand new centre will be a flagship for BSM. It is fully equipped to accommodate the changes to the practical motorcycle test coming into effect on 29 September 2008. The vast off-road training area offers a unique opportunity for learners to practice all the required exercises in safe surroundings in preparation to take their test on the sixth day.
"At Silverstone we are able to offer the best facilities in a location that reeks of motorsport heritage," says Mike Loydall, BSM head of motorcycle training. "We want to be able to offer a unique motorcycling experience in a comfortable but exciting environment, and our manufacturer partnerships offer the unmatched opportunity for riders to train on bikes they ultimately aspire to buy."
Changes to the practical motorcycle test are being introduced in September with the aim to improve the standard of road safety for motorcycle riders. The BSM Rider packages are designed to support this and focus on how to teach people to ride a motorcycle rather than just the basic knowledge required to pass their test.
The introduction of the centre is a benchmark for the motorcycle sector. The high standards and new facilities are aimed at attracting new riders and improving the skill and enjoyment of existing bikers, making the riding experience as accessible and enjoyable as possible.
For further information or images, please contact:
Telephone: 020 3047 4086
Telephone: 020 3047 4027
Notes to editors:
- Six-day full licence package - £899
- Two-day post licence enhanced rider training - £399
- One-day Motorcycle Experience - £99
- Courses can be booked on BSM's central booking line - 0845 300 3245
- All riders that book a package will receive a ‘personal shopping' service at all Hein Gericke stores to help new riders unravel the ‘mystery' of biker clothing and accessories
- The new centre will operate throughout the year, except for a few limited occasions when it will closed due to prior racing commitments at the circuit
- For the six-day course, BSM will be offering a booking service with local hotels to provide accommodation
- The BSM team will offer post-test training over the two-day course that will be delivered using the proposed DSA Enhanced Rider Scheme guidelines. It will be delivered by approved instructors who are listed on the DSA Register of Post Test Motorcycle Trainers
BSM is the UK's largest driving school, with over 3,000 driving instructors teaching more than 130,000 learners to drive each year. BSM has been teaching people to drive since 1910 and is fully committed to helping people become safer drivers, not just training them to pass their test.