Article date: 24 August 2009
Aviva today announced that their award winning Back-Up service is now available to its individual and small group private health insurance customers. This decision follows the highly successful launch of Back-Up to its own staff and corporate customers.
Back-Up, which is just one of a number of new specialist case management initiatives being introduced by Aviva UK Health, reflects the need to move away from a traditional “one size fits all” approach to private health insurance claims management to offer customers a truly personalised, expert-led service tailored to their exact needs.
Developed with the UK’s leading professional rehabilitation provider HCML, Back-Up, which utilises evidence based medical guidelines for managing back and neck pain, has proven to significantly improve the speed of recovery and return to work rate for customers. In addition, the number of physiotherapy sessions required has been greatly reduced and far fewer people have needed to be referred to a specialist.
Rather than having to wait to see their GP, customers are referred to the Back-Up service to speak to a dedicated case manager who conducts an in-depth assessment and offers practical and clinical advice and support. A personalised rehabilitation plan is then tailored to their individual needs. Where the customer is part of a group scheme, the case manager can also work with their line manager to advise how they can be helped safely and effectively at work.
Mark Sharpe, clinical development manager at Aviva's UK Health business, said: “Musculoskeletal conditions are one of the top causes of private health insurance claims, yet they have traditionally been treated with a broad brush six to 10 sessions of physiotherapy approach which gives little consideration to the customer’s exact circumstances. Our Back-Up service bucks this trend.
"Evidence now shows that tailoring treatment plans to the individual’s personal needs, has a far better out-come for all parties – the individual recovers quicker, employers benefit from reduced sickness absence costs and our medical insurance claims costs, and therefore future premium increases, are controlled.
We are extremely proud of our Back-Up service which has already delivered numerous benefits for our customers. The feedback we've received is absolutely fantastic and we’re delighted more of our customers can now benefit from this highly valued service."
For further information, please contact:
Telephone: 0238 035 9383
Notes to editors:
From 24 August 2009, the Back-Up service is available to all Aviva’s UK private health insurance customers who have GP referred physiotherapy as part of their Health Solutions, Solutions or Optimum scheme.
Key results from Aviva’s corporate customers include:
- 50% of employees said the service prevented them going absent or restricting their duties
- Of the 25% who were absent prior to using the service, 100% successfully returned to work through Back-Up
- Physiotherapy sessions have been reduced by 37.5%
- At least a 15% saving on treatment costs
- 99% of customers found HCML intervention excellent or very good.
- 95% who had physiotherapy rated it excellent or very good.
Health and Wellbeing from Aviva
Established in 1990 as the healthcare arm of Norwich Union, Norwich Union Healthcare was re-branded to Aviva in 2009. We provide a range of private medical insurance, income protection, occupational health and group life products and services that cover over 2,400,000 lives. We are one of the largest providers of income protection, group life and private medical insurance in the UK.
Norwich Union Occupation Health, a sister company of Norwich Union Healthcare, was also re-branded to Aviva in 2009. Occupational Health provides occupational health solutions and services to a wide range of industry sectors. By utilising their large fleet of purpose built mobile clinics and approved medical centres, staffed by a team of experienced occupational physicians and nursing staff, the services are designed to meet the individual needs of clients.
Aviva Health UK Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority and is a member of the Association of British Insurers and the Financial Ombudsman Service.
Aviva’s news releases and a selection of images are available from Aviva’s internet press centre at www.aviva.com/media.
- Aviva, the international savings, investments and insurance group, is the world’s fifth largest insurance group, serving 50 million customers across Europe, North America and Asia Pacific.
- In the UK, Aviva is a leading provider of life, pensions, investment, general insurance and health products to more than 20 million customers. Aviva also provides roadside assistance through the RAC. Products are distributed through a number of channels including IFAs, brokers, corporate partners and direct to customers via the internet.
- Aviva's UK Insurance business has a market share of around 15%, making it the largest general insurer in the UK. The business is focused on insurance for individuals and small businesses.
- Aviva's life and pensions business in the UK has a total market share of 12% and a top three position in its key markets of savings, protection, and annuities.