Article date: 21 December 2009
For the fourth consecutive year, RAC ranks highest in helping customers who’ve broken down at the roadside, according to the 2009 UK Roadside Assistance Study - an annual independent survey undertaken by consumer research company, JD Power and Associates. RAC has secured this title more times than any other breakdown provider.
The survey of almost 2,800 UK motorists showed that RAC was highly commended in all three factors driving customer satisfaction:
- Timing - the time taken for help to arrive and time taken at the scene
- Operator/dispatcher - including the time taken to answer the phone and the friendliness and reassurance offered
- Mechanic/vehicle driver - including the appearance of and courtesy, knowledge and expertise levels of patrols.
The study reveals that high levels of customer satisfaction with roadside assistance services have a particularly strong impact on both customer advocacy and repurchase decisions. RAC has implemented a number of customer service initiatives throughout 2009 to improve the service it offers to customers. In particular, RAC has invested in new tools and equipment to help improve repair rates at the roadside to help keep motorists on the road.
Neil Thompson, director of service delivery, said: "It’s been a challenging year in the current economic climate, but this award is testament to RAC’s ongoing commitment to ensuring our customers are at the heart of everything we do.
“This is the seventh time RAC has secured the top spot since the survey began in 1998. It shows that the initiatives that we put in place are valued by our customers, who clearly expect, and indeed, deserve the highest standards of service from us.
“RAC is passionate about delivering exceptional levels of service to our customers at the roadside, and we will continue to do so throughout 2010 and beyond.”
Brian Walters, European automotive director at J.D. Power and Associates, said: “The fact that RAC has been the top ranked provider in our study four times in a row now is testament to their strong commitment to customer satisfaction and motoring safety”.
RAC Press office contact:
Vicki Burn on 01603 684224/ 07800 692909, Lucy Haughey on 01603 688891/07800 690149 or Sam Bramwell at Staniforth on 0161 919 8024/ 077381 96667.
Notes to editors
- With around seven million members, RAC is one of the UK's most progressive motoring organisations, providing services for both private and business motorists. Whether it's roadside assistance, insurance, vehicle inspections and checks, legal services or up-to-the-minute traffic and travel information - RAC is able to meet motorists' needs.
- RAC is committed to providing the very highest levels of service to its members and was the top named service organisation in the July 2009 UK Customer Satisfaction Index from the Institute of Customer Service.
- Aviva bought RAC in May 2005. The acquisition brings together RAC's powerful brand and customer base with the expertise and leading position in motor insurance of Aviva UK Insurance. Aviva is the UK's largest insurer with a market share of around 15 per cent.
- RAC is part of Aviva, the world's fifth largest insurance group which operates in 28 countries.
- RAC's news releases and a selection of images are available from the internet press centre at www.rac.co.uk/press-centre/