Article date: 19 April 2010
Aviva is stepping up its search for high-quality graduates to become financial advisers.
As part of The Aviva Future Adviser Programme, 35 business undergraduates from seven leading universities have been selected to attend a two-day assessment centre. The top 10 "gold" finalists will join a six-week summer internship with Aviva and leading adviser firms.
Candidates have been chosen from more than seventy entries to Aviva’s programme. Students were asked to write an article on an issue facing the financial advice sector.
Ten gold winners and 10 silver runners-up will each receive a prize of £500. Along with a further 15 bronze runners-up, students will be given access to Aviva’s Financial Adviser Academy and supported to continue a career in financial services.
The Aviva Future Adviser Programme was launched last year and is designed to encourage high-quality graduates to enter the financial advice profession.
The universities backing the programme are: Warwick, Imperial College London, Southampton, Manchester Metropolitan, Sheffield Hallam, Leeds Metropolitan and the University of East Anglia.
The Institute of Financial Planning, Chartered Insurance Institute (CII) and FSSC are supporting the programme along with LEBC Group, Threesixty Services, Honister Partners, Tenet and Sesame Bankhall Group.
Angela Seymour-Jackson, intermediary and partnerships director at Aviva, said: “The retail distribution review is likely to cause a drop in the number of financial advisers at a time when adviser firms are telling us that they are struggling to recruit high-quality people.
"The Aviva Future Adviser Programme makes it easier for quality firms to attract high-calibre graduates through raising the profile of the sector and encouraging graduates to pursue a career in financial advice. The Future Adviser Programme aims to prepare graduates to get off to a dynamic and successful start with a quality advisory firm.”
David Gwyer 01904 452659 07800 693187
Notes to editors:
- Aviva is the world’s fifth largest* insurance group, serving 53 million customers across Europe, North America and Asia Pacific.
- Aviva's main business activities are long-term savings, fund management and general insurance, with worldwide total sales of £45.1 billion and funds under management of £379 billion at 31 December 2009.
- We are the largest insurance services provider in the UK and one of the leading providers of life and pensions products in Europe.
- Aviva’s life and pensions business in the UK has a total market share of 10.3 ** and a leading position in its key markets of savings, protection and annuities.
- The Aviva media centre at www.aviva.com/media includes images, company and product information and a news release archive.
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit www.aviva.com/media/video.
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc
* based on gross worldwide premiums at 31 December 2008
** Source: ABI data released March 2010