Article date: 19 May 2010
Aviva has announced the gold, silver and bronze winners of The Aviva Future Adviser Programme.
The gold winners are:
- Jamie Hay, Jeremiah Thomas, Shahid Hassan, Matthew Platt, Abdulakdir Onafeko and Greg D’Ambrosio, Manchester Metropolitan University Business School.
- Sara Abdolzadeh and Georgina Hemingway, Leeds Metropolitan University.
- Matthias Kunz, Southampton University.
- Tamsin MacDonald, University of East Anglia.
The Aviva Future Adviser Programme was successfully launched in 2009, and encourages high-quality graduates to enter the financial advice profession.
This year, 35 undergraduates from seven leading universities were invited to take part in a two-day assessment centre. The top 10 "gold" finalists have now been selected to join the six-week summer internship with Aviva and leading adviser firms. The 10 gold winners and 10 silver runners-up will each receive a prize of £500. The 15 bronze runners-up will be given access to Aviva’s Financial Adviser Academy and supported to continue a career in financial services.
The universities involved in the programme this year are Warwick, Southampton, Imperial College London, Manchester Metropolitan, Sheffield Hallam, Leeds Metropolitan, and University of East Anglia.
The Institute of Financial Planning, Chartered Insurance Institute (CII) and FSSC are supporting the programme along with LEBC Group, Threesixty Services, Honister Partners, Tenet and Sesame Bankhall Group.
Angela Seymour-Jackson, intermediary and partnerships director at Aviva, said: “The retail distribution review is likely to cause a drop in the number of financial advisers at a time when adviser firms are telling us that they are struggling to recruit high-quality people. The Aviva Future Adviser Programme is making it easier for firms to attract high-calibre graduates by raising the profile of the sector, and encouraging graduates to pursue a career in financial advice.
“For our gold winners, the internship will give them real insight to the financial advice profession and provide them with valuable connections to high quality advisory firms; we look forward to welcoming all ten winners to the scheme in July.”
David Gwyer - 01904 452659 / 07800 693187
Notes to editors:
- Aviva is the world’s fifth largest* insurance group, serving 53 million customers across Europe, North America and Asia Pacific.
- Aviva's main business activities are long-term savings, fund management and general insurance, with worldwide total sales of £45.1 billion and funds under management of £379 billion at 31 December 2009.
- We are the largest insurance services provider in the UK and one of the leading providers of life and pensions products in Europe.
- Aviva’s life and pensions business in the UK has a total market share of 10.3%** and a leading position in its key markets of savings, protection and annuities.
- The Aviva media centre at www.aviva.com/media includes images, company and product information and a news release archive.
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit www.aviva.com/media/video/.
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc
* based on gross worldwide premiums at 31 December 2008
** Source: ABI data released March 2010