Article date: 6 March 2001
Norwich Union remains committed to Scotland and is continuing toexpand its Pitheavlis operation. This is the message the company'smanaging director, Patrick Snowball gave to Perth MP and MSPRoseanna Cunningham when the pair met at Norwich Union's recentlycreated customer service centre yesterday (5 March).
It was the first time that the two had met, and during theirhour-long meeting, they discussed the role of Norwich UnionInsurance in Perth, and in particular the future of the Pitheavlisoperation.
Norwich Union currently employs around 800 staff in Pitheavlisand this will rise to 1000 by the end of this year. The mainbusiness sections based in the purpose-built offices are corporatepartnerships, retail service, intermediary support, IT andcommercial trading units. Some CGNU group functions are also basedin Pitheavlis.
The customer service centre, which sells motor insurance overthe phone, was opened in October last year and already employsaround 150 staff. By the end of this year that figure will havedoubled.
Also attending the meeting was Annabelle Ewing, the SNP'sprospective parliamentary candidate for Perth in the forthcominggeneral election.
Ken Leitch on 01738 895092
Notes to Editors
- A photograph will be sent via ISDN to you from GSRPhotographic, if you do not receive one please call them on 01382566018.
- CGU plc and Norwich Union plc merged on 30 May 2000 to createCGNU plc, the UK's largest insurance group and one of the top-fiveinsurers in Europe with substantial positions in other marketsaround the world, making it the world's sixth largest insurerbased on gross worldwide premiums.
- CGNU's principal business activities are long-term savings,fund management and general insurance, with worldwide premiumincome and retail investment sales from ongoing business of over£27 billion and assets under management of more than £210billion.
- From October 2000, the combined life and pensions, generalinsurance and retail fund management businesses in the UK operateunder the Norwich Union brand, while the institutional investmentbusiness operates under the Morley Fund Management brand.
- CGNU's news releases are available on the internet atwww.cgnu-group.com