Article date: 20 September 2010
Aviva has appointed Rupert McNeil to the new role of UK human resources (HR) director, responsible for developing and leading Aviva’s people strategy for its 21,000-strong UK workforce across its UK life and general insurance businesses.
Rupert will report to Aviva UK chief executive Mark Hodges and become a member of the UK executive team. He will start his new role on 4 October.
Rupert joins Aviva from Barclays Group, where he has held a number of positions including executive management director within HR, and more recently, HR director of the global retail and commercial banking division. Prior to that, he was a partner at Deloitte & Touche.
He brings with him a wealth of UK and international experience covering all aspects of human resources, including leadership and development, reward and governance, recruitment, and talent management. He graduated from Oxford University in 1989 with a degree in politics and philosophy and has also recently completed the Harvard Advanced Management Program.
Aviva UK chief executive Mark Hodges said Rupert’s extensive in-house and consultancy experience would prove invaluable to Aviva as the company continued to shape its UK strategy and bring its life and general insurance businesses closer together.
“People are at the heart of our business. We want to attract and retain the best so that we can deliver a great service to our 19 million UK customers. Rupert’s role will be to ensure that we build and develop the right talent for Aviva into the future and create an environment in which we support and reward individuals for their skills and contribution to the business.”
For further information, please contact:
Aviva Press Office
Telephone: 07800 699526
Aviva Press Office
Telephone: 07800 691714
Notes to editors:
- 2005–2010 Barclays
HR director, global retail & commercial banking
executive management director, group human resources
- 2002-2005 Deloitte & Touche
- 1995-2002 Arthur Andersen
partner, executive compensation practice
consultant, UK compensation and benefits practice
- 1989-1995 Confederation of British Industry (CBI)
head of pay & employment markets
head of remuneration policy, employment affairs directorate
- Aviva is the world’s sixth largest* insurance group, serving 53 million customers across Europe, North America and Asia Pacific
- Aviva's main business activities are long-term savings, fund management and general insurance, with worldwide total sales of £45.1 billion and funds under management of £379 billion at 31 December 2009
- We are the largest insurance services provider in the UK and one of the leading providers of life and pensions products in Europe
- The Aviva media centre at www.aviva.com/media includes images, company and product information and a news release archive
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit www.aviva.com/media/video/.
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc
* based on gross worldwide premiums at 31 December 2009