Article date: 3 August 2001
Norwich Union now offers motor and home insurance plus its CATstandard Performance ISA on Sky television via Open, itsinteractive service.
Since the launch of the new service, Norwich Union has becomethe first company ever to provide a fully transactional service forboth insurance and investments through interactive digitaltelevision (iDTV).
This latest innovation has been funded by norwichunion.com,Norwich Union’s new online wealth management service,designed to help people take a more active role in managing theirown finances.
Customers who buy their Norwich Union motor or home insurancevia the new service will get a ten per cent discount –regardless of whether they choose to pay online via theirtelevision or by telephoning the specialist contact centre.
Dave Todd, director of operations for norwichunion.com, believesthat the new service will appeal to the growing band of people whoare becoming more comfortable with the concept of buying financialservices online.
“We believe that they’ll appreciate the simplicityand convenience of using their TV,” he said.
“The television is a more familiar device to many peoplethan a home computer” continued Todd, “so, for them,finding out about and buying financial products and services fromthe comfort of their armchair should be very attractive.”
Norwich Union has been offering motor and household insurance onthe Web since 1999 and on iDTV (with Sky, NTL and Telewest) since2000.
Jon Florsheim, Head of Sky Interactive, said: “The newNorwich Union service takes financial services to a new level oninteractive TV. By enhancing its service on Sky to enableinteractive transactions, Norwich Union is giving 14 million peoplein more than five million households direct access to its productsthrough their televisions.”
Todd said: “As the UK’s largest insurance company,we’re keen to ensure that that Norwich Union takes a lead inthe development of emerging technologies and new distributionchannels where they benefit our customers.”
Norwich Union has already provided over one million insurancequotes to customers via the Internet and other digital channels,including iDTV.
- Media contact – Louise Zucchi, Norwich Union pressoffice, 08703 666860
- A photograph of Dave Todd is available on the Newscastwebsite, www.newscast.co.uk, or by e-mail.
Notes to editors:
- CGU plc and Norwich Union plc merged on 30 May 2000 to createCGNU plc, the UK’s largest insurance group and one of thetop-five insurers in Europe with substantial positions in othermarkets around the world, making it the world’s sixthlargest insurer based on gross worldwide premiums.
- CGNU’s principal business activities are long-termsavings, fund management and general insurance, with worldwidepremium income and retail investment sales from ongoing businessof over £27 billion and assets under management of more than £200billion.
- From October 2000, the combined life and pensions, generalinsurance and retail fund management businesses in the UK operateunder the Norwich Union brand, while the institutional investmentbusiness operates under the Morley Fund Management brand.
- Norwich Union’s news releases are available on thisinternet site