Article date: 31 August 2001
Norwich Union Healthcare now has three quarters of a millioncustomers with private medical insurance and income protectioncover.
The company has reached this milestone thanks to a period ofgrowth in the corporate market, successful targeting of first- timebuyers for PMI, and a restructuring of intermediary supportservices.
There are now 619,000 customers covered by NUHC PMI policies,the rest having income protection.
NUHC managing director David Rogers said: “We aredelighted to have achieved this success, which reflects a greatdeal of hard work by all our staff, the competitiveness of ourproducts, and the strength of our relationship withintermediaries.
“We have seen continued growth in the corporate market forboth income protection and PMI, and we have had particular successin this area with our Optimum service for large group PMI.
“The restructuring of our intermediary sales force hasworked very well in providing intermediaries with what theyneed.
“And last year’s merger with CGU has provided uswith wider opportunities to grow our customer base.”
- Media contact - Louise Zucchi at Norwich Union Press Office on08703 666860
Notes to Editors
- Norwich Union Healthcare was founded in 1990 as the healthcarearm of Norwich Union and now provides a range of income protectionand private medical insurance products to around 750,000customers. It is one of the largest providers of income protectionand private medical insurance in the UK.
- Member of the General Insurance Standards Council
- CGU and Norwich Union merged on 30 May 2000 to create CGNU plc- the UK's largest insurance group and one of the top-five lifeinsurers in Europe with substantial positions in other marketsaround the world, making it the world's sixth largest insurerbased on gross worldwide premiums.
CGNU's principal business activities are long-term savings, fundmanagement and general insurance, with worldwide premium income andretail investment sales from ongoing business of over £27 billionand assets under management of more than £200 billion.
From October 2000, the combined life and pensions, generalinsurance and retail fund management businesses in the UK operateunder the Norwich Union brand, while the institutional investmentbusiness operates under the Morley Fund Management brand.
- Norwich Union’s news releases are available on thisinternet site.
- A selection of images are available from the CGNU Newscastsite at www.newscast.co.uk.
For life and pensions enquiries 08703 666873
For all other enquiries 08703 666868