We use cookies to give you the best possible online experience. If you continue, we'll assume you are happy for your web browser to receive all cookies from our website. See our cookie policy for more information on cookies and how to manage them.

Knowledge store

Knowledge store general enquiry form
Submit enquiry

Contact us

Call our customer services team on:

0345 366 6666

Email -

Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR) [Hardfacts]


The original 1995 Regulations were made to provide a source of data on accidents and ensure that the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) were informed of serious accidents involving employees and certain other classes of persons.   Employers, the self employed and persons in control of work premises have duties under these Regulations. The Regulations underwent major changes in 2013 but the essential requirements to record and report remained unchanged.

The main purpose of the Regulations is to generate reports to the HSE and to Local Authorities (LA). 

The law  requires employers, and persons in charge of work premises, to report and keep records of:

  • work-related accidents which cause deaths whether workers or non-workers
  • work-related accidents which cause certain specified injuries 
  • work-related accidents that result in a worker being unable to work for more than 7 consecutive days  
  • diagnosed cases of certain industrial diseases; and
  • certain 'dangerous occurrences' (incidents with the potential to cause harm)

The requirement to report an"Over 3 Day Injury" was changed on the 6th August 2012 and only accidents that lead to "incapacitation" for over 7 days (not including the day of injury) need be reported businesses can no longer report incidents by post or fax and the facility to report incidents via email has also been removed. All injuries must now be  reported online. Fatal and specified injuries can be reported to HSE's Incident Contact Centre (ICC) by telephone. The ICC (a joint venture between the HSE and Local Authorities) acts as a focal point for all RIDDOR telephone reporting throughout England, Wales and Scotland. By reporting to the ICC there is no need to contact the Local HSE Office or a Local Authority this will be handled by the ICC.

Who Makes the Reports?

The regulations require that the reports are made by the "Responsible Person". This is normally the employer of the person injured or the person in control of the premises where the incident occurred or if a reportable injury affects a self employed contractor or a member of the public is injured.

What Do I Report and How Should I Report Something under RIDDOR?

Death or Specified Injury - if a person is killed or suffers a specified injury whilst working on your premises or a member of the public is killed then you must notify the ICC by telephone immediately. They will take details of the accident to enable completion of the required F2508 form and subsequently forward you a copy for your record keeping purposes. There is also a requirement to report a death that was confirmed by post mortem as having been caused by an injury sustained at work, up to 12 months following the incident causing the injury.

Accidents which involve an employee (or self employed person) suffering an injury, which renders them unavailable to undertake their normal job of work for more than 7 days, are reportable. The day of the incident causing the injury is not considered when determining the end of the 7 day period but you should include time when the injured person would not normally be at work e.g. weekends.

Despite the changes to formally report "over 7 day" accidents instead "over 3 day" accidents, the HSE advises employers that all accidents should be recorded, especially those where the injured person is unable to do their normal job for more than 3 days.

Injuries to members of the public should be reported if the injury results from an accident arising in connection with work activities and results in a person(s) being taken from the premises to a hospital for treatment. This is done by completing the online form F2508.

Some diseases are also reportable when diagnosed by a medical practitioner and  there is evidence that the disease has been caused by or made worse by a person's work. Reporting is done by completing the online form F2508A.

Dangerous occurrences are incidents that had the potential to cause fatal or specified injuries.

All Dangerous Occurrences must be reported immediately by telephone to the ICC. Again details will be taken sufficient to complete the F2508 form a copy of which will be forwarded on to you for record keeping purposes.

A full list of all Reportable Injuries, Dangerous Occurrences and Reportable Diseases can be found on the HSE Website ( 

Reporting Procedures

All incident can be reported directly to HSE using a suite of forms that are available on their website (see references). However, since September 2011 the ICC has only accepted telephone notification of Fatal and Specified Injury events.

Duties of the Self Employed

When working on someone else's premises and suffering any of the above then you must ensure that the person in control is aware as they will be responsible for reporting. If either yourself or a member of the public is injured whilst working on your own premises, or there is a dangerous occurrence, or you have been diagnosed as having a reportable disease, then you need to report these to the HSE. As a self-employed person you need not notify ICC immediately of a specified injury; this can be reported within ten days via their website.

Record Keeping

You are required to keep a record of any reportable injury, disease or dangerous occurrence.

The record must include such details as the date and method of reporting, the date, time and place of the event, details of persons involved and a brief description of the nature of the event or disease. The record can be kept in whatever way you choose, i.e., copies of completed report forms or computerised records.

Examples of Specified Injuries, Dangerous Occurrences and Reportable Diseases

Definitions of specified injuries,  injuries that have resulted in the worker being incapacitated for more than 7 days, dangerous occurrences and diseases (Note: This list is not exhaustive and reference to  should be made when determining the incident is reportable under the Regulations)

Specified injuries: Including:-

  • Fractures other than to fingers, thumbs or toes
  • Amputations
  • Any injury leading to reduction or loss of sight
  • Any loss of consciousness caused by head injuries

Dangerous Occurrences: Include:-

  • Collapse, overturning or failure of load bearing parts of lifting equipment and lifts
  • Explosion, collapse or bursting of any closed vessel or associated pipework
  • Plant or equipment contacting with overhead power lines- Scaffold collapse over five metres high or erected near water
  • Collision of a train with any vehicle
  • Sudden, uncontrolled release in a building of flammable liquids or gases
  • Accidental release of hazardous substances

Reportable diseases: Include:-

  • Hand arm vibration syndrome
  • Occupational Dermatitis
  • Occupational Asthma
  • Diseases resulting from exposure to carcinogens, mutagens and biological agents.

Reporting out of hours

The HSE and local authority enforcement officers can be contacted out of normal working hours where very serious accidents or incidents have occurred. Less serious occurrences should be reported the following day. When deciding whether to contact the HSE or Local Authority Duty Officers, consider the following:

  • Has there been a work-related death, or where there is strong likelihood of death following an incident at or connected with work?
  • Has there been an accident where several workers have been seriously injured?
  • Has there been an accident resulting in serious injury to a member of the public?
  • Has there been a serious accident or incident where physical evidence would be lost if you waited until normal working hours?
  • Has there been an accident and incident causing major disruption, such as evacuation of people, closure of roads, large numbers of people going to hospital etc?

If you feel that your incident fits these descriptions, or if you are not sure, then ring the HSE Duty Officer on 0151 922 9235.

Key Action Steps

  • Be aware of the various means of reporting under RIDDOR detailed above.
  • Add the web link to your favourites or bookmarks within your internet browser.
  • Nominate persons responsible for reporting all RIDDOR reportable events.
  • Familiarise yourself with the types of accidents that require to be reported.


Reporting Accidents and Incidents at Work INDG453

Reporting via the HSE: Report here

ARMS Hardfacts:

Investigating Accidents 1038

The Accident Book 6037

ICC contact details: Telephone: 0845 300 9923

Next Steps:

  • Source discounted products, available to Aviva insured customers and brokers only, via our Preferred Supplier Scheme - click here to find out more about the savings you could make
  • View our Tools and Templates
  • Call our Risk Helpline on 0345 366 66 66
  •  Email us at

Please Note
This document contains general information and guidance and is not and should not be relied on as specific advice. The document may not cover every risk, exposure or hazard that may arise and Aviva recommend that you obtain specific advice relevant to the circumstances. AVIVA accepts no responsibility or liability towards any person who may rely upon this document.

Rate this entry

Was this helpful to you?