Exclusions — what’s not covered by Aviva short term car insurance
We’ve told you what’s included in our short term car insurance policy, but we want you to have the confidence to know that there’s no “small print” and that we’ll pay out when it comes to the crunch.
Below are some examples of what is excluded under this policy. For full details, please consult the policy wording.
- Loss or damage arising from theft while the ignition keys of your car have been left in or on your car.
- Loss of use, reduction in value, wear and tear, or mechanical, electrical or computer breakdowns, failures or breakages.
- Loss of value following a repair.
- Confiscation or requisition or destruction by or under order of any government or public or local authority.
- Damage to tyres by braking or by punctures, cuts or bursts.
- Loss or damage directly caused by pressure waves caused by aircraft or other flying devices travelling at, or above, the speed of sound.
- Loss or damage caused by an inappropriate type of fuel being used.
We will not pay for any accident, injury, loss or damage that occurs while:
- Your car is being used for a purpose not shown under the “Description of use” section of your certificate of insurance. For example, the car is being used to carry goods or passengers for hire or reward.
- It is being driven by any person not described in your certificate of insurance as entitled to drive.
Eligibility — drivers
The customer and any other person who will drive must:
- Hold a current, valid, full UK, EU/EEA, Australian or New Zealand driving licence, and have done so for at least 12 months.
- Have an address shown on their driving licence which matches the address on this insurance policy (this does not apply if you are a UK citizen permanently resident outside of the UK).
- Not have had terms applied by DVLA in relation to any medical condition.
- Be aged 21 years or over (note: minimum age may vary depending on vehicle) and upto a maximum age of 75.
- Have had no more than 2 fault claims in any 3 year period.
- Have no more than 8 penalty points and have had no disqualifications in the last 3 years.
- Have had no motoring offence in the last 3 years with the Conviction Offence Code prefixes DR, CD, DD, UT or IN.
- Have not been convicted in the last 5 years of any offence relating to fraud, robbery, theft or handling stolen goods including any pending prosecution or police enquiry.
Eligibility — the car
To qualify for short term insurance, the vehicle must:
- Be registered in Great Britain, Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man.
- Have a current market value of less than £60,000.
- Not be owned by, and/or hired out by, any Vehicle Rental company.
- Have no more than 8 seats (including the driver’s).
- Not have been imported (personally) and is not to be exported.
- Not be used for the carriage of goods or passengers for hire or reward.
- Not be used to carry hazardous goods (other than the carriage of less than 10kg of bottled gas, or 10 litres of flammable solvents in one container.
- Not be used or driven at any hazardous location.
- Not to be over 3.5 tonnes GVW.
Any vehicles that have undergone any post manufacturer ‘after market fit’ modification (cosmetic or performance related) are NOT ACCEPTABLE. However:
- Vehicles modified to cater for a disabled driver or passenger can be covered under short term car insurance.
- Vehicles fitted with manufacturer specified optional extras, fitted at the time of manufacture, can also be covered under short term car insurance.