The sandwich generation
Stuck in between two layers of the family tree, members of the ‘sandwich generation’ care for ageing or sick parents on one side and children on the other.
As a result, they're at greater risk of financial problems, mental health issues and may experience a poorer quality of life in general than people without caring responsibilities.
We surveyed UK sandwich carers and discovered:
- 1 in 3 say caring has had a detrimental effect on their mental health
- 41% say they have less free time
- 42% spend 10 or more hours a week caring for someone in their household
- 83% don’t have dedicated savings for caring
- If faced with an unexpected expense of £500, 1 in 3 wouldn't be able to pay it