Insurance tips for university students

Organise the right insurance before you go to university to protect your belongings, car and health while you’re away.

What if your laptop was stolen before a deadline and you couldn’t afford to replace it? Or you damaged your car and couldn’t repair it?

Make sure you have the appropriate level of cover.


The average student takes at least £2,100 worth of belongings to university 1, putting them at risk of theft and burglary. Some halls of residence have contents insurance included, but if yours doesn’t, have a look at the options below:

Use an existing policy

Your belongings may be covered by your, or your parents’ existing contents insurance even while you’re at university. Our standard contents insurance covers £5,000 of items temporarily removed from the home so, if you live with your parents during holidays, your possessions could be covered against fire, storm, flood, malicious damage and theft through forced entry.

For extra peace of mind, personal belongings cover provides wider protection for items while you’re out and about. Combined with contents insurance, this normally covers items like smartphones and gadgets for accidental damage, loss and theft wherever you are. 

Bear in mind that some items such as musical instruments (standard on our personal belongings cover) or bicycles may not be covered automatically, even with personal belongings cover. 

Whichever option you choose, make sure you have your insurance in place before the big move, because statistics show that 20% of thefts happen within the first 6 weeks of term 2.  


If you’re taking your car to university, it could invalidate your existing car insurance. Here are 5 things to check:

Tell your insurer your new address.

Keeping the car at a different location to that on your policy could affect your premium, and not informing your insurer could invalidate future claims. You may not need to make any changes to the policy if the car remains at your home address during holidays, but you need to let your insurer know.


Where you park your car can directly affect your premium. If you don’t have a parking space, look into what long-term secure parking solutions are available. The price of insuring the car on the street could outweigh the cost of paying for secure parking. Once you know where your car will be kept, tell your insurer.

Use of the car

Consider whether your mileage and use of the car will change, as this could also affect your policy. A change from commuting to social use, for example, might see your premium reduce.

The main driver

If you are a named driver on your policy, but acting as the main driver while living away from home, update your policy. Using the car in this way is illegal and could get you investigated for insurance fraud.

Car maintenance

It’s vital to keep your car running smoothly, but many drivers don’t know how to run safety and maintenance checks on their vehicle. If you rely on your car to get to work or classes, breakdown cover might be helpful too.


If you are included on your family’s health insurance policy, check if you will still be covered while you’re away. Our standard policies do cover family members when they’re temporarily away from home.

If you have health insurance, look into the extras you’re entitled to. For example, our health insurance policy includes access to a 24-hour GP helpline, which could be useful during the transitional weeks, and a stress counselling helpline, which is good to have on hand as you adjust to new workloads and responsibilities.


  1. Use your existing contents insurance, extend your current cover or take out a separate policy to protect your belongings
  2. Tell your motor insurers about any change in address, parking arrangements, usage or main drivers – failure to do so could invalidate your policy
  3. Check whether your family’s health insurance covers you while you’re away

Looking for insurance?

Visit our insurance page to see the range of products and cover we offer.

Articles on life changes

Prepare for change with our guides and articles.